Where do I send my records?

Permanent records which are no longer required for business purposes are transferred to the University's Archives. If you believe you have records of legal, historical or enduring value please contact the University Archivist Bruce Ibsen.

Unfortunately, RAMS does not have the physical space or staffing capacity to look after all of UQ’s temporary records, but we are happy to advise about organising commercial storage. 

Storing records with GRACE Records Management

Departments that require temporary storage for inactive records can store their records with commercial providers like GRACE Records Management.  The costs associated depend on the size of the box, length of retention required, retrievals and eventual destruction.

Where do stored records go?

Records sent to GRACE Records Management will be stored across a number of warehouses in Brisbane.  These are secure and climate controlled. It is very important that you label storage boxes carefully with your department name and a unique record number and retain a record of what you have sent to storage. This will be essential when you need to retrieve your records.

Guide for storing corporate records at GRACE

Types of archive boxes https://www.grace.com.au/blog/information-management/

We generally use the C3 size, because we feel that they’re more robust for records that are accessed periodically (as opposed to records that are just placed in storage).  However, the C11 boxes from Grace are also robust if they suit your purposes.  Grace Records Management (GRM) don’t like taking archive boxes from different providers because they are generally a lot less sturdy, which makes them difficult to store and transport, and unsuited to keeping records secure.

If you send records to GRM you will need to label each box clearly and keep a detailed, accurate record of what you have sent and what is in each box.  This can be done with a spread sheet or even a Word document, but it’s very important. It’s also important to ensure that the necessary staff know where this information is kept so that if you are unavailable the records are still accessible.

Information on the labels should include:

  • Unique box number (generated by you)
  • Summary of contents
    For example: Queensland Centre Intellectual & Developmental Disability (QCIDD) – Box 001 – Research Materials 2015 Professor J Smith

GRM will provide you with a roll of barcode labels that you will also need to attach to your boxes.  This is how they track the boxes in their system.

Information recorded in the spread sheet should include the following:

  • Unique box number (generated by you)
  • GRM barcode label number
  • Owner of the records/researcher
  • Date sent to GRM
  • Summary of the contents

You should also include a sheet inside each box that details the box’s contents.  This allows you to keep track of the contents of each box if you need to retrieve a record.

Although GRM have an online inventory and ordering system which you can use to look up your boxes, you should maintain a separate record.  GRM will only have the information you provide them with as a means of tracking your boxes.  In our case, we only provide our box number to GRM.  We record their barcode number, our record number, contents of the box and when it was sent in our system.  When we want to request something back we do so using either their barcode number or our record number.

GRM provide training on how to use their online inventory and ordering system, if required.

Moving Office? Records relocation guidelines

What do you have?

Records in your area can be broken down into a number of broad categories.  There are those you use regularly, those you use infrequently (semi-active), those you use rarely or not at all (inactive) and, in many cases, those you didn’t even know you had.

This guideline applies to all records not just those created in TRIM.



Regularly used

Take the records with you to keep near your work area.


Used infrequently


Place in storage close by in your new area (where available) or transfer to a commercial storage provider. 

When transferring to storage, records must be appropriately:

  • boxed
    • Group similar records together
    • Use Grace C3 or C11 boxes
    • Boxes should weigh no more than 14 kilos
    • Number boxes
  • listed
    • file number, description of the records, box number, Grace barcode number, owner of record, date record sent to Grace, retention code and date due for destruction
    • Make sure the list is available to your team
  • sentenced (how long records need to be kept for). 
    • Use the retention and disposal schedules to determine retention period

      This ensures that the records can be retrieved when required and that they are not kept longer than necessary.

Inactive with heritage/archival value

Contact the University Archivist

Inactive but NOT eligible for destruction

Transfer to secondary storage. See link below for information for storage options.

Inactive AND eligible for destruction

Destroy securely and ensure destruction is documented.
Use the ‘Records Disposal Approval form’ to document records destruction and forward to RAMS.

Use the current retention schedules to determine how long you need to keep your records.

Check all filing cabinets and desks to ensure files are not abandoned or accidentally destroyed.

If boxing files please use durable boxes which are available through P&F Stores


Remember that records destruction should be:

Our State Retention and Disposal Schedule allows for the destruction of some records as soon as they are no longer needed for business purposes. There is no need to document their destruction.  These are ephemeral documents which are items of short term temporary informational value.  These include:  copies, media reports, unsolicited letters, appointment diaries, transitory messages, drafts and superseded manuals.

Disposal of Records procedure


The University has an extensive Archives collection dating back more than 100 years.

If you have any records which have historical value or are identified as permanent please contact Bruce Ibsen, our University Archivist archives@uq.edu.au

This would include records like signed committee minutes, photographs and annual reports.

Contact RAMS if you’d like help assessing your files – records_request@uq.edu.au