North Stradbroke Island is surrounded by a marine national park. The island includes substantial areas of national park, mining lease, township and council land. North Stradbroke and surrounding islands and waters are also subject to native title agreements. All research, educational (e.g. school and university groups), and commercial activities (e.g. commercial filming and photography) are subject to Environment and Heritage Protection, National Park, and Moreton Bay Marine Park permit regulations.

MBRS has obtained permits that cover clients participating in the Stradbroke Island Science Camp (SISC) program. School and undergraduate groups that do not run under the SISC program must organise their own permits for all marine and terrestrial activities.

  • Zoning – Marine Based Activities

    When planning your research or educational activities, you will need to understand the different zones that exist around Moreton Bay.

    Moreton Bay Marine Park is organized into zones according to their level of protection.  These are general use zones (light blue), habitat protection zones (dark blue), conservation park (yellow), and marine national park (yellow), as illustrated below. Each zone has different restrictions. For additional information please refer to the Moreton Bay Marine Park zoning maps.

  • Permits – Marine Based Activities

    Moreton Bay Marine Park Permits

    Marine park permits provide authorisation to conduct research and education activities in defined zones or locations in Moreton Bay Marine Park. Educational activities also require a permit, although this may vary according to the activity and the zone. Contact National Parks prior to submitting permit applications.

    Contact: Ph: 13 74 68 (13QGOV) or Email:

    Protected Animal and Scientific Purposes Permit

    All native birds, reptiles, mammals and amphibians are protected in Queensland, along with a limited range of invertebrates, freshwater fish and the grey nurse shark. All native plants are protected. Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) permits are required for work with plants and animals. An EHP permit is also required if you obtain a Moreton Bay Marine Park permit and the work involves protected animals.

    Contact: Ph: 1300 130 372 or email:

    Fisheries Permits

    A fisheries permit is needed in order to carry out fisheries related research and/or surveys. Permits are assessed by the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.

    Contact: Ph: 13 25 23 or email:

  • Zoning – Terrestrial Based Activities

    North Stradbroke Island includes national park, mining lease, Redland City council and native title areas. Non-national park areas of the island are currently undergoing change as responsibility moves between local and state governments and native title holders. These maps show national park and native title areas. Please contact the Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing for a current land tenure map.

  • Permits – Terrestrial Based Activities

    The Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing (DNPSR) need to be contacted for any work that occurs within a national park on the island. The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) should be approached for activities that involve protected animals (both inside and outside of national parks). Responsibility for non-national park areas of the island is currently managed between the native title holders (Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation), state government (EHP), and local council (Redland City Council). All three may need to be approached, depending on the activity.

    National Parks

    The Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing (DNPSR) need to be contacted for permits for any work that occurs within a national park on the island. Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) permits are required within terrestrial national parks (above the high water mark) where all native animals and plants through to the sand, water, and rocks are protected. The most common permit needed by MBRS research and education clients is the scientific research and educational purposes permit.

    Areas outside national park protected zones also require an EHP permit for work involving protected (native) animals.

    Contact: Ph: 1300 130 372 or email:

    Native Title Areas

    The Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC) manages native title rights across North Stradbroke Island and surrounding waters. While, QYAC is automatically consulted as part of the permit approval process for Moreton Bay Marine Park and EHP permits, it is highly recommended, as a matter of courtesy, that QYAC be contacted directly in regard to activities in Quandamooka Country.

    Redland City Council Areas

    Areas of Stradbroke island outside national park and above the high tide mark (e.g. reserves and conservation areas) may fall under the control of the Redland City Council and they should be contacted with respect to potential permit requirements.

    Mining Lease Areas

    Access to all mine sites and mine leasehold areas are restricted. Sibelco Australia should be contacted in this regard.

    Beach Access and 4WD Permits

    If you are planning to drive on the beaches of North Stradbroke Island you will need to organise a permit.

    Commercial Permits

    Research and education activities undertaken for a commercial purpose require a commercial activities permit from the Queensland Government.

  • Ethics

    Animal Ethics

    Ethics permits are required for all activities involving vertebrates and cephalopods, whether in the laboratory or in the field. Permits are arranged via your institutional Animal Ethics Committee (AEC), such as the UQ Animal Welfare Unit. Non-institutional users should arrange their ethics through the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries. No animal may be acquired, bred, held or used for any purpose at MBRS until written approval has been obtained from an AEC.

    Human Ethics

    Activities involving human subjects or human-related materials (including surveys) need ethics permits from their institutional ethics committee, such as the UQ Human ethics unit. Non-institutional clients should approach government ethics bodies.

  • Photography and Filming

    Government Permission

    Media activities such as commercial filming or photography within National Parks, Marine Parks or Forests may require a commercial activities permit.

    Contact: Ph: 13 74 68 (13QGOV) or Email:

    University Permission

    Clients may require permission for non-personal filming or photography while on the station. You can request permission through the station manager. All requests will be considered to ensure the filming is appropriate and that the necessary security and insurance requirements are in place.

    To request permission for non-personal photography/filming on the station, please send the following documentation to the station manager at least five working days ahead of filming.

    • UQ Location agreement – completed and signed by group representative
    • Public Liability Certificate – a common document provided by an insurance body, that details the amount and type of insurance cover and the date of validation
    • Brief synopsis of topic

    The station manager will consider the application with the office of marketing and communications, and respond to your request via email. Filming must adhere to requirements around the privacy act, and people appearing in imagery should complete waivers.

  • Transporting Specimens

    Transferring Specimens Interstate

    Permit and license management, under the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, must be contacted to discuss any proposal to move wildlife out of, or into Queensland. In addition, the wildlife authorities in the other state must be contacted to ensure you have the necessary documentation to proceed with the movement.

    Contact: Ph: 1300 130 372 or email:

    Exporting Specimens Overseas

    If you intend to export any specimens or portions of anything collected within the Moreton Bay Marine Park you need to contact the Department of the Environment to determine if you require an export permit.

    Contact: Ph: +61 2 6274 1900 or email:

All permits must be obtained prior to your arrival at MBRS and can take months to organise and process. Consider seeking advice directly from the relevant authorities before submitting your permit application as it may reduce the time taken to process it.

Copies of permits must be supplied to MBRS staff prior to your arrival. Please contact MBRS or the relevant permit organisation if you have any queries.