With approximately 60 full-time academic and research staff, the School has an extensive range of research expertise covering social psychology, cognitive neuroscience, cognitive and experimental psychology, developmental psychology, clinical, health and applied psychology.
At The University of Queensland we have one of the most prestigious Schools of Psychology in Australia. Its strong reputation is built on excellence in teaching, research, and engagement with the community.
The School is internationally recognised for research strengths across the breadth of psychology, and it has excellent laboratory and computer facilities. The School’s research profile is enhanced by several research centres, these include:
- Centre for Research in Social Psychology, focus for social psychological research
- Cognitive Psychophysiology Laboratory, investigating links between learning, cognition and emotion
- Early Cognitive Development Unit, examining cognitive development in young children and other primates
- Centre for Organisational Psychology has particular emphases on leadership and organisational change
- Parenting & Family Support Centre, provides a research basis for the Triple P Positive Parenting Program
- Queensland Centre for Mothers and Babies is developing and evaluating the provision of integrated, woman-focused maternity care across Queensland
- Vision Sciences Group conducts fundamental research on the links between physiological and cognitive aspects of perception
There is a strong collaborative link with the Queensland Brain Institute, including a number of joint academic and research positions in cognitive neuroscience. In addition, the UQ Psychology Clinic provides a context for research as well as for postgraduate training in clinical psychology.
The School has a dynamic group of postdoctural research fellows, funded from national competitive grants and from internal UQ sources. In addition, the school provides PhD supervision across all areas of research, including multidisciplinary projects in collaboration with staff from other schools and institutes, and supervises over 150 honours students each year.
Postgraduate coursework programs are available in:
- Clinical Psychology
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Organisational Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Counselling and Counselling Psychology
- Sport & Exercise Psychology