Mathematics is part of the School of Mathematics and Physics and has close affiliations with a number of Research Centres in the School and beyond.
Research is loosely divided into five Programs:
- Algebra & Combinatorics
- Applied Mathematics
- Scientific Computing and
Some of the associated Centres include:
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Mathematics & Statistics of Complex Systems
- Centre for Discrete Mathematics and Computing
- Centre for Mathematical Physics (CMP)
- Advanced Computational Modelling Centre (ACMC)
- Centre for Plant Architecture and Informatics (CPAI)
- Centre for Statistics (CSTAT)
- Financial Mathematics Research Group
- The Ecology Centre (TEC)
Research Centres provide a complementary structure to the programs. The role of the Centres is to provide a formalised structure for the pursuit of contract research, consulting projects and other activities associated with raising the level of external funding.