The Liver and Pancreas Studies group is a sub-group of the Therapeutics Research Unit.
The Liver and Pancreas Studies group is a subunit of the Therapeutic Research Unit. The group is interested in drug disposition and metabolism in the liver and drug pharmacokinetics in the pancreas. Perfused liver and pancreas models have been developed to facilitate the studies.
Current areas of research include the:
• Effects of various liver diseases (e.g cirrhosis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) on drug hepatic pharmacokinetics
• Relationship between the severity of the liver disease and drug levels in liver transplant patients
• Effects of repeat dosing of a vasoactive drug on its own hepatic pharmacokinetics
• Effects of cardiovascular diseases (e.g. heart failure, primary hypertension, atherosclerosis) on drug disposition in the liver
• Pharmacokinetics of sulphonylureas and several antibiotics in the pancreas