The School of Information Technology & Electrical Engineering (ITEE) has a strong, internationally recognised research base and substantially contributes to UQ’s reputation as Australia’s largest provider of industry-funded research and development expertise.
The School has an ambition to advance, develop, disseminate and exploit knowledge in Information and Communications Technology and Engineering (ICT&E) by the conduct of outstanding and impactful research and by the effective delivery of university-level courses to meet the needs of the community.
The School has forged links with a number of national and international centres of research excellence at the forefront of technological innovation, in areas such as sustainable energy, information security, computational modelling, human cognition and genomics.
ITEE staff and students are published widely and attract competitive grant funding and industry sponsorship. More than 60 academic staff and 245 research higher degree students are active in the following key research areas:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cognitive Systems Engineering
- Complex and Intelligent Systems
- Data and Knowledge Engineering
- Microwave & Optical Communications
- Power & Energy Systems
- Security & Surveillance
- Systems and Software Engineering
- Ubiquitous Computing
Research projects are sponsored by such high-profile organisations as Microsoft, CSIRO, SAP, Cricket Australia, Powerlink, NASA, Sun Microsystems, Alstrom, Boeing, Queensland Rail, Westinghouse Rail, Qld Power Engineering Alliance, Ergon Energy, CS Enerty, IEnergy, Siemens Medical Imaging, AirServices Australia,Tarong Energy and Stanwell Corp.
Some of the University's successful commercial spin-off ventures that have their roots in ITEE have been:
- ActiveTorque Pty Ltd - developing engine control systems for a cleaner, more fuel-efficient world
- CiTR Pty Ltd- electronic business solutions for the Internet, telecommunications, enterprise and government markets - now known as ISMC Solutions Pty Ltd
- Fultec Pty Ltd - advancing electrical surge protection for sensitive systems
- Groundprobe Pty Ltd - slope stability radar and ground penetration radar systems. Winner of the the 2005 AusIndustry Emerging Exporter Award
- Magnetica Ltd - magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) applied primarily to medical situations. Winner of the 2006 'Rising Star' category in the Queensland Premier's Smart Awards
- MITEC Pty Ltd - took enhancements to microwave technology to the world - later absorbed by CODAN Pty Ltd
- WAVE Instruments - biomedical engineering
- Petalogix - an embedded Linux® solutions provider
||Science and Technology: Information Technology, Engineering: Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Science and Technology: Knowledge Management, Science and Technology: Data Systems, Medical: Data Management/Analysis, Science and Technology: Imaging Sciences, Engineering: Electromagnetics, Engineering: Systems Engineering, Science and Technology: Software Engineering, Energy: Environmental Effects, Fossil Energy, Energy: Energy Engineering, Science and Technology: Computer Modeling, Medical: Genomics