Child Care

Child care, kindergarten and after-school-care facilities (all independently operated) are accessible to staff and students on or near most University of Queensland campuses.

Use the links provided to find out more about the facilities provided at the St Lucia, Gatton and Ipswich campuses. Staff based at Herston may access the Lady Ramsay Child Care Centre (contact 07 3636 1844). Alternatively, you can search online using the Child Care Services search facility for a particular child care or early education service, contact details and other relevant information (Queensland Department of Communities).

The University of Queensland also provides a range of parenting facilities as well as special parking arrangements for carers with young children and for women staff during pregnancy. Please use the links provided for more information.


Queensland has a wide range of schools to choose from with almost 1300 public (Queensland Government-administered) and 450 private (independent) schools spread across the State.

Education at public schools is free, although most schools do have a voluntary annual fee to cover extra activities. Parents may also have to purchase such items as books and uniforms and pay for outings, camp etc. Most public schools are co-educational, with girls and boys encouraged to participate equally in class. More information about education in Australia is provided on the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website. Please note that you may have to pay school fees if you or your children are non-Autralian citizens. Further information can be obtained from Education Queensland International.

Around one-third of Queensland's independent schools are located in the Brisbane metropolitan area. Most identify with a particular religion or religious ethos (for example, Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Christian or Islam). However, many others are inter-denominational or non-denominational.

To find out more information about public education, and to search public schools in Queensland, go to the Queensland Government, Department of Education website for parents and carers. The Queensland government website also provides information on schooling for international students. To search for independent schools in Brisbane use the Non-Government Schools Directory.