Official Language: English
Capital City: London
Currency: Pound Sterling

BUTEX Scholarship (£500 scholarships for students to study in the UK. Click the link to check if your host university is affiliated to BUTEX.)

Visa information:



Big Ben, London from Southbank



WATCH the UQ Abroad information session on Exchange to UK HERE



Since regulations may change, you should always consult the UK Border Agency website and check current requirements for yourself. 

1. The Short-Term Study visa is recommended to students who study in the UK for up to six months. It is possible for non-visa nationals to obtain this visa on arrival to the UK (no fee) but you must bring documents to show at the border, including:

  • official acceptance letter (unconditional offer) issued by your host university 

  • evidence that you can support yourself financially (e.g. bank statements for the last six months, offer letter of OS-HELP loan/scholarship/travel grant etc.)

  • details of where you intend to stay (e.g. accommodation confirmation email)

  • return or onward travel tickets

  • a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa

  • You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.

You must explain to the Border Force Officer that you want to be admitted as a short-term student and NOT as a standard visitor. Your host university may scan the stamp page in your passport in order to complete student registration. 

If you require a short-term study visa that allows multiple entries and exits, you are recommended to apply for the visa in advance in Australia with a fee. 

Visa nationals must apply up to three months before the start of your program (£89 as in May 2016). Click here to check if you need a visa.  

2. The Tier 4 (General) student visa is intended for students who study in the UK for longer than 6 months. You can apply for this visa with a fee (£328 as in May 2016) frpom 3 months before the start of your program. You must request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from your host university once your have received an official acceptance letter. Issuing CASs requires a significant amount of staff time, and host universities have to pay for each CAS issued. You should only request a CAS if you genuinely intend to apply for a Tier 4 visa. Also, all UK universities are required to report to UK Border Agency any Tier 4 students who withdraw from the exchange program after arrival or who do not keep good attendance during their studies

Full-year exchange students can normally arrive in the UK up to one month before the program starts. 

Please note that not all partner universities would issue CAS numbers to single-semester exchange students.

3. If you require a UK visa: All applicants, including Australians, must now have your fingerprints and photograph (known as "biometric information") taken as part of the visa application process. You will have to make an appointment online to visit a UK visa application centre near you. Click here to find out how to apply in Brisbane or other Australian capital cities.

4. For students on a full-year exchange to the UK (including Australians and New Zealanders who were previously exempted): You are required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS, £200 per year) as part of your visa application. More information can be found here


View host universities in United Kingdom

City University London

Imperial College London

Royal Holloway, University of London

University College London

Loughborough University

University of Birmingham

University of Edinburgh

University of Exeter

University of Glasgow

University of Leeds

University of Manchester

University of Manchester - Alliance Manchester Business School

University of Nottingham

University of Sheffield

University of Surrey

Queen Mary University London

University of Bath

University of Sussex

On this site