You will need to ensure that you have all relevant paperwork in order before you leave. It is recommended that you carry photocopies of all important documents and also leave copies with your family or friends. This includes your university acceptance letter, plane ticket, passport, visas, traveller’s cheques, insurance policy, credit cards and emergency phone numbers.


Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months longer than the duration of your trip.

In case you lose your passport while overseas, it is a good idea to scan a copy of your passport and save it somewhere secure and easily accessible. Make a note of the address and telephone number of the Australian embassy or consulate nearest to your host university in case of emergencies.

Student visa

Many countries require students to obtain a student visa or study permit for their exchange period. Depending on your destination it can take up to three months for visas to be processed.

You will not be able to apply for your student visa until you have received an official acceptance letter from your host university; however, you are strongly advised to research your visa options and start organising the required documents early.

Once you have been accepted by UQ Abroad, contact the relevant consulate or embassy in Australia to find out more details about the student visa process. A list of country consulates and embassies is available at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

What you need to find out about a student visa or study permit:

1.  The type of visa you will need to apply for.
2. Supporting documents required as part of the visa application, for example:  host university acceptance letter, proof of accommodation, evidence of sufficient funds for the semester, police check.
3. The cost of your student visa, including the visa itself, the application cost, the cost of obtaining required supporting documents, and travel to a consulate/embassy (in another state) to have the visa issued.
4. Where the visa must be issued -  Will you need to be in Australia to apply for/have the visa issued, or can you complete the process in a third party country?

ANY TRAVEL before your exchange until you have your visa in your passport.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa for the country you are entering. As visa requirements are constantly changing, UQ Abroad is not able to provide visa advice.

Host university acceptance letter

Keep this letter in a safe place, and ensure that you have copy with you in your hand luggage, when entering your destination. 

On this site