There are a number of important things to do before you leave and when you arrrive in your host destination to ensure you are covered by health and travel insurance.

As soon as you arrive in your host country, please update your contact details in mySI-net. This will enable UQ to stay in contact with you while you are abroad.

In case of natural disasters or international conflict, The University of Queensland needs to know where our students are at all times. As such, all UQ exchange students are required to submit their travel details on StudentHub. An email will be sent to you directing you to a form on Student Hub after you have been accepted by your host university.

After submitting your travel details on StudentHub, students going on exchange will be covered by The University of Queensland’s Corporate Travel Insurance for up to two semesters (maximum 12 months), which includes five days immediately before the first semester (including any orientation and compulsory language classes) and five days immediately after the designated exam period for the final semester of exchange.

**NB: The UQ Insurance will only cover exchange students while they are in the country of their exchange host university. If students plan to travel outside of the country of exchange, it is strongly recommended that additional travel and health insurance is purchased prior to departure from Australia.**

The policy summary can be found online. Please note that this page is password protected and you will be required to login using your UQ Username and Password.

Items covered by UQ’s Corporate Travel Insurance include medical expenses overseas, medical evacuation, luggage, personal effects, credit cards and specific items (e.g. laptop). 

If you are planning to travel either before or after your exchange period, you will need to take out additional insurance to cover these periods. You can find out more about purchasing additional insurance at the link above or by talking to your travel agent.

Please note: Students with dual citizenship studying in the country of which they are a citizen may not be able to claim medical expenses through the UQ insurance if they are eligible to receive medical benefits through being a citizen of the country in which they are studying. If students are not eligible to receive medical benefits through that country's healthcare system due to residency (or other requirements) students will continue to be covered for medical expenses through UQ's insurance.

If you have any questions about UQ’s Corporate Travel Insurance, please contact UQ's Finance and Business Services Division via or call 61 7 3365 3075.

Many exchange partners require students to purchase a health insurance package – in addition to the UQ insurance - to meet student visa and/or enrolment requirements. It is your responsibility to be aware of and comply with insurance requirements set by your host university.  

 These requirements (and costs) can change with little advance notice. Students should monitor the relevant pages of their host university’s website prior to leaving on exchange and contact their host university directly if they have any questions or require more information.
Some partner universities allow students to apply for a waiver (or to be exempt) from purchasing their insurance package. In order to receive a waiver, you will be required to present proof of what is covered in the UQ policy.
 If you are able to apply for a waiver, you will need to submit:
1.    A Certificate of Currency (contact
2.    A summary of UQ policy which can be found online.
3.    A document provided by the host university’s insurer outlining the requirements that must be met in order to receive the waiver. This document must be submitted to UQ’s Insurance Office ( and signed by UQ’s insurance company.
Please contact UQ’s insurance office ( if you require further information about UQ’s Corporate Travel and Health Insurance policy.

A Certificate of Currency is a document that certifies that UQ has a current insurance policy in place that covers you during your exchange and shows the type, limits, and period of coverage.

If you require proof of UQ’s insurance coverage in order to obtain your student visa or for host university enrolment, you can request a Certificate of Currency. You can only request a Certificate of Currency after you have recieved your host acceptance, submitted your travel details to UQ Abroad and have received your Travel Insurance Reference Number from the UQ Insurance Office.

Please note that if you are an RHD student, you will need to contact your School to request an Insurance Reference Number. 


If you need to make a claim for medical expenses or to replace stolen, lost or damaged electronic equipment, for example, fill out and follow the instructions on a Travel Insurance Claim Form. Please note that all claims must be lodged within 30 days after the date of the occurrence. Remember to check applicable excesses prior to lodging a claim.

If you are an international student studying at UQ, you are entitled to apply for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) credit for any period you are out of Australia for longer than one month. This includes the period you are studying outside of Australia on exchange.

To apply for OSHC credit, you will need to provide a copy of your passport Photo ID page and Immigration Australia stamps for Departure and Arrival to the OSHC Representative at the St Lucia Student Centre within 28 days of returning to Australia. A refund for the unused portion of the OSHC can be obtained from Allianz OSHC at the end of your degree program.

On this site

Go to top