As a general rule, you may need between AUD$12,000 -$15,000 per semester of overseas study. To help you budget for your experience abroad, please find a few key costs outlined below.

Course Fees

Host institution

While you will pay no tuition fees to your host university, some host institutions have a mandatory fee for Student Services and/or public transportation concessions. For more information about these fees, please visit your host university’s webpage on this site.

Home institution - UQ

You remain enrolled at UQ while on exchange and liable for tuition fees or student contributions (HECS) at UQ

Accordingly, you will be charged 8 units (a standard full-time load) for each semester on exchange, regardless of the number of units granted towards your UQ degree for the courses undertaken at the Host University while on exchange. If you are enrolled in only 6 units at UQ while on exchange (either because you are going in your last semester and have only 6 units remaining in your degree OR you have been approved by UQ Abroad to take the equivalent of 6 units while on exchange) you will only be charged for 6 units.

See the University’s Fee Schedules to calculate your fees for 8 units worth of Exchange Studies (EXCH) courses for the relevant enrolment year.

Please note that tuition fee and student contribution rates usually increase each year. If fees for the enrolment year have not yet been set, use the previous year’s fee as a guide only.

UQ Abroad students are exempt from paying the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) if enrolled only in EXCH courses.

Budget for exchange

Your budget will vary depending on the cost of living in your destination. Some costs to consider include:

  • airfares
  • student visa (if required)
  • travel/health insurance
  • accommodation
  • food
  • additional travel
  • entertainment
  • textbooks
  • incidental expense

Working while on exchange

Prior to departure, you will need to save sufficient funds to cover all of your expenses for the duration of your exchange.

If you wish to work while you are away, it is important to note that work rights for international students vary from country to country. For further information about your visa restrictions please contact the consulate or embassy of your host country.

On this site

Go to top