UQ Abroad takes your safety seriously. Please familiarise yourself with the following information about health insurance, travel advice, and who to contact in case of an emergency.

Please note: host universities may have different insurance requirements.  These requirements (and costs) can change without notice so students should monitor partners’ websites prior to leaving on exchange.

Travel and Health Insurance

Travel and Health Insurance

There are a number of important things to do before you leave and when you arrive in your host destination to ensure you are covered by health and travel insurance.

UQ Abroad has developed a series of helpful resources about travel and health insurance.
Please ensure you familiarise yourself with these prior to departure.
  • How to update your details in mySI-net
  • How to complete the UQ Abroad travel spreadsheet
  • UQ Corporate Travel Insurance
  • Mandatory Host University Health insurance
  • Certificate of Currency
  • Making a claim
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for international students
Smart Traveller

Smart Traveller

Smartraveller is the Australian government’s travel advisory body and consular assistance service.

We recommend that you register your travel plans on smartraveller.gov.au so that you can be contacted in the event of an emergency, including natural disasters, civil unrest or family matters. The site also has comprehensive travel tips, up-to-date country information, and travel warnings for dangerous countries.

A Smartraveller app for iPhones can be downloaded here.

Register with the consulate abroad

Register with the consulate abroad

When you arrive in your destination country, it is a good idea to register with the consulate of your home country. This will allow officials to contact you in the event of an emergency.

A list of country consulates and embassies is available at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

Emergency contacts

Emergency contacts

If you find yourself in an emergency while abroad, please contact the appropriate local authorities immediately.

Make sure you know the emergency numbers of your host country, such as how to get in contact with the police, ambulance or embassy.

Once the immediate emergency has passed please contact your insurance provider (if required). UQ Abroad’s travel insurance is provided by ACE Insurance, ACE Insurance offer a reverse-charge assistance line for all insurance enquiries, and can be contacted on +61 2 8907 5995.  Further information about Travel and Health Insurance is also available on the Travel and Health Insurance page.

If you find yourself in an emergency and require the assistance of UQ outside of office hours, you can contact UQ Abroad via UQ Security on + 61 7 3365 3333. UQ Security will inform the relevant staff members of your emergency.

On this site

Go to top