We all struggle with time management but planning ahead will help. Plan to manage your time more effectively by:
- Setting goals
- Identifying priorities
- Understanding your energy cycle and when you are at your best
- Writing down a plan for the day
Our plans are always being challenged by the unexpected.
When the unexpected threatens to upset your plans, take time to consider:
- Is it urgent or non-urgent?
- Is it important or not important?
If it is urgent and important, you need to do it first.
Make sure you manage your time well by:
- Beginning with the end in mind – think about the outcome that is needed and plan how to reach that
- Handling things once…either do it now or plan a time to do it
- Doing it right the first time
- Batching similar types of work – have one trip to the Library rather than three!
- Reducing clutter…get rid of the extraneous matter
- Finishing things that you start, not leaving them semi-finished
- Trying to get a step ahead so that when the unexpected happens, you can cope
And don’t forget to factor in time for yourself – book a meeting with yourself to think, plan, go to the gym!