- Venue Hire Information
Venue Hire Information
External organisations are able to hire any of the 170+ centrally controlled teaching spaces located on UQ's 3 main campuses and the PACE site, dependent on availability. To view the range of available locations conduct a central location search via the homepage.
To make a booking enquiry please complete a Room Booking Application
New external clients will be required to create an account with the University’s Finance and Business Division. Invoices are generated monthly, after the conclusion of events. A valid certificate of currency for public liability to insure a minimum sum of $10,000,000 must be included as part of the application for hire.
Should an external client wish to hire additional furniture this is done at the clients expense and only through a third party provider such as Valiant Hire
Timetabled classes will take priority over all event bookings. Bookings made by University Organisations will take priority over external bookings.
The University reserves the right to cancel or amend any booking.
UQ’s hire charges apply to 1) all external clients and 2) registered student groups wishing to hold additional club events . Venue hire is charged per hour and is inclusive of GST. Different room types and their capacities will attract a specific cost.
|Tiered Learning Theatres||≤ 199 Capacity||$100 p/h|
|200-294 Capacity||$140 p/h|
|295-499 Capacity||$180 p/h|
|≥ 500 Capacity||$250 p/h|
Flat Floor General
|Foyer Spaces||$40 p/h|
|≤ 79 Capacity||$50 p/h|
|≥ 80 Capacity||$70 p/h|
Computer Related Rooms
* Accounts are required for
|Computer Laboratories||$100 p/h|
|Collaborative PC Rooms ≤ 89||$100 p/h|
|Collaborative PC Rooms ≥ 90
|All prices listed are GST inclusive. Rates updated as of 1 Jan 2017. To view the Terms of Hire click here.
Registered student clubs and organisations may request centrally controlled teaching spaces during semesters for group events and meetings.
Registered Student Clubs/Organisations must request a booking by submitting a Room Booking Application at least 1 business week prior to the booking. A Student Group must be registered with the UQ Union prior to requesting a booking. Please refer to the conditions below before proceeding with a booking request.
All Student Club/Organisation enquiries should be directed to email@example.com in the first instance.
For all chaplaincy and prayer booking enquries email: firstname.lastname@example.org. An application form may be required for booking teaching spaces and the Multi-Faith Chaplaincy.
Student groups may book centrally controlled teaching rooms under the following conditions.
Please note that all student groups must adhere to the Terms of Hire and Room Etiquette Signage in rooms, whilst also being aware of procedures regarding Overcrowding of Teaching Space (Section 8 Space Management Procedures). Student groups who fail to adhere to these rules, or who cause excessive cleaning costs or repair bills will be unable to book centrally controlled rooms for their student group in future.
Bookings provided free of charge:
- Student groups must be registered with the UQ Union.
- Only the President or Secretary of the registered group can request the booking. The requester must supply their student email address in the request (not Gmail, Hotmail etc)
- Bookings are for general club activities only that corresponds with the purpose and objectives of the respective club, not on behalf of external clients, guest speakers, the Chaplaincy, fundraising events etc.
- Up to 15 free sessions per semester will be allowed of up to 4 hours in duration each.
- Clubs with special club related circumstances may be afforded additional sessions each semester which will be considered by Teaching Space Management on a case by case basis.
- Room capacity will match registered group size e.g. use of large lecture theatres will only be matched with large groups; if group is 60 in size, they should not require a room larger than 60 capacity for their general meetings..
- Free Bookings can only be made during set teaching weeks of semester 1 and semester 2, Monday to Friday between the hours of 8am-10pm. Weekend bookings may be considered upon request.
- Student Groups are able to place bookings in accordance with the Available Booking Dates.
- Bookings take a minimum of 3 business days to process. Bookings submitted with less than three business days’ notice are unlikely to be considered.
Any booking requests for general club activities for student groups outside of the above criteria (e.g. longer duration than 4 hours, or more than 15 sessions per semester) will be a charged booking, with the group charged at 50% discount of standard hire rate.
Bookings not considered general club activities (e.g. events, ceremonies)
- If the event is endorsed by the UQ Union as a genuine student club event, a hire charge of 50% of standard cost will apply.
- The UQ Union will be responsible for supplying Teaching Space Management with a list of UQ Union endorsed events. As with general club activities, these events will be covered by UQ Union insurance.
- Should events involve VIP attendance (please refer to room bookings form) applications need to be submitted 6-8 weeks in advance, as rooms will only be booked following UQ Protocol Approval, which can take several weeks. Failure to allow UQ Protocol enough time could result in no room being available to your event.
- If the club wishes to host an event that is not endorsed by the Student Union, 100% hire charge will apply, and separate provision of public liability insurance would need to be supplied.
- The only exceptions for fee waivers would be those groups who have applied and gained approval from the Experience, Careers and Employability office; or if the Union or other UQ School or Faculty is prepared to cover the costs for the student group. All enquiries about this should be directed to the relevant area.
UQ staff are able to request central teaching rooms dependant on availability of space and the development of the academic timetable. Staff can also book meeting rooms located on the St Lucia Campus.
All requests for bookings are to be submitted via the Web Room Booking System. For general room booking enquiries email email@example.com or call extension 60775. Requests for central teaching rooms during teaching weeks may only be considered once the production of the academic timetable is finalised. Timetabled activities take priority over all other events. View the list of available booking dates prior to placing your request.
There are a number of foyer spaces available to book in conjunction with booking of adjacent teaching rooms.
The below foyer spaces are available to book:
|09-L2 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with ALL Level 2 Teaching Rooms|
|23-L2 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 23-101|
|42-L2 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 42-212/216|
|47A-L2 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 47A-241|
|47A-L3 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 47A-341|
|49-L2 Foyer||St Lucia||100||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 49-200|
|63-L3 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 63-348/358/360|
|63-L4 Foyer||St Lucia||30||Only Bookable in Conjunction with 63-348/358/360|
Third party providers can supply additional furniture and/or equipment for a confirmed booking
UQ does not provide additional furniture or equipment for centrally controlled teaching spaces. Event organisers are able to organise additional furniture or equipment through third party providers such as Valiant Hire. It is important that appropriate set up and pack down times are incorporated into your booking should additional furniture/equipment be necessary. All additional materials must be removed at the conclusion of any event. UQ takes no responsibility for hired equipment left in a teaching space after the conclusion of an event.
There are a number of outdoor areas that can be booked for events on the St Lucia Campus through the Security Division.
The following outdoor locations are able to be booked via Property & Facilities Security Division by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alumni Court (between Goddard (8) and Parnell (7) Buildings)
- Natural Amphitheatre (between Building 41 and UQ Lakes)
- Forgan Smith Lawn (between Art Museum (11) and Social Sciences Library (12))
- Forgan Smith Front Lawn (between Hartley Teakle (83) and Sir Llew Edwards (14) Buildings)
Whilst there are a variety of centrally controlled teaching spaces, availability of space may be limited. Alternative venues not operated centrally may be available to suit your requirements.
St Lucia Campus
Brisbane (Off Campus)
To book non-centrally managed meeting rooms on the Gatton campus please phone (07) 5460 1457.
The hire of teaching space includes access to audio visual equipment available in the room. Audio Visual Services provides assistance with additional requirements in centrally controlled teaching spaces.
- Audio-Visual Hire
- Video Conferencing Services
- Radio Mic Frequencies
- ITS HelpDesk and General Enquiries
- ITS Help Guides
- Visitor Internet Access
2 Weeks notice is required for software installations, which can be arranged through the ITS Service Desk email@example.com. Please refer to the Acceptable Use of UQ ITS Resources for specific information relating to computer and internet access. Persons under the age of 18 need written permission by a parent or gaurdian.
The following links relate to additional audio visual services and assistance:
To find your way around, access the campus maps and parking facilities information.
Teaching Space Management does not provide catering for teaching spaces, however catering can be provided by contacting one of UQ’s many external providers.
Food and Drink is not to be consumed within any centrally controlled teaching rooms. Catering is not provided by Teaching Space Management (this includes tea and coffee), please find links to a selection of on-campus catering providers below. The placement of catering is often determined by the venue hired, which may require some consideration due to availability of appropriate foyer space.
Please consult any of the following organisations directly to enquire about catering for your event.
St Lucia Campus
Tel: (07) 3346 7438
Advanced Engineering Building
Tel: 0431 099 725
Mr Beans Coffee - The Grind Cafe
Tel: 0412 738 899
RedRoom Bar and Grill
Tel: (07) 3377 2288
St Leo's College
Catering and Conference Manager
Tel: (07) 3878 0616
Fax: (07) 3878 0620
Mobile: 0417 742 097
Wordsmiths - The Writers' Cafe
Tel: (07) 3870 4453