Dr Peter Westoby
BA (Sociology), Masters of Social Work Administration & Planning (Major in Community Development) and PhD (Political Science)
Senior Lecturer in Community Development
School of Social Work & Human Services
Chamberlain Building, Campbell Road
The University of Queensland
St Lucia, 4072
Telephone: +61 7 3365 3028
Fax: +61 7 3365 1788
St Lucia Campus
The University of Queensland
Academic & Research Interests:
Community development (domestic and international with current focus on South Africa), inter-cultural community work, peace and conflict studies, refugee-related community development work.
Member: The International Association of Community Development, Action Learning, Action Research Association, Youth Affairs Network of Queensland, Community Praxis Co-op Ltd.
- Westoby, P. & Dowling, G. (Forthcoming 2013). Theory and Practice of Dialogical Community Development: International Perspectives. UK: Routledge.
- Westoby, P. & Shevellar, L. (eds.) (2012). Learning and Mobilising for Community Development: A Radical Tradition of Community-Based Education and Training. UK: Ashgate Press. http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409443841
- Ingamells, A., Caniglia, F. Lathouras, A. Wiseman, R. & Westoby, P. (2010). Community Development Stories, Method and Meaning. Common Ground Publishers.
- Westoby, P. & Dowling, G. (2009). Dialogical Community Development: with depth, hospitality and solidarity. Brisbane & London: Tafina Press.
- Westoby, P. (2009). The Sociality of Refugee Healing: In dialogue with Southern Sudanese refugees resettling within Australia – a model of social healing. Common Ground Publishers.
Selected journal articles:
- Westoby, P. & Botes, L. (2012). ‘I work with the community, not the parties! The political and practical dilemmas of South Africa's state employed community development workers’, British Journal of Social Work. Advanced Access.
- Westoby, P. & Owen, J. (2012). ‘The structure of dialogic practice within developmental work’, Community Development. 43 (3), p306-319.
- Westoby, P. & Ingamells, A. (2011). ‘Teaching community development personal practice frameworks’, Social Work Education. Vol 31 (3) p383-396.
- Westoby, P. & Simpson-Hope, G. (2011). Re-thinking ‘tradition’ and community development practice. European Journal of Social Work. Vol 14, Issue 2, p213-228.
- Westoby, P. (2010). ‘“We have plenty”: Re-thinking custom and community economic development within Vanuatu’, Journal for Development Support. Vol 2. P20-38.
- Storey, D., Muhidin, S. & Westoby, P. (2010). ‘Planning for social inclusion amidst growth’, Australian Planner. Vol. 47:3, p142-151.
- Westoby, P. (2010). Community-based training for conflict prevention in Vanuatu: Reflections of a practitioner-researcher. Social Alternatives. Vol 29, No1. p15-19.
- Westoby, P. (2010). ‘Dialogue and disentanglement: navigating tensions for sustainable community economic development within Vanuatu’, in The International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability. Vol. 6 No.1 p81-92.
- Westoby, P. & Owen, J. (2010). ‘The Sociality and Geometry of Community Development Practice’, Community Development Journal. Vol. 45. No.1.
- Westoby, P. & Ingamells, A. (2010). 'A critically informed perspective of working with resettling refugee groups in Australia', British Journal of Social Work. Vol. 40, p1759-1776.
Selected book chapters:
- Westoby, P. & Sokhela, S. (2012). ‘The craft of community-based training: The South African Council of YMCAs and Youth Empowerment’ in Westoby, P. & Shevellar, L. (eds). Community-Based Training for Radicals: Social Learning & Mobilising in Community Development Practice. Ashgate Press.
- Westoby, P. & Shevellar, L. (2012). ‘Tracing a tradition of community-based education and training’ in Westoby, P. & Shevellar, L. (eds). Community-Based Training for Radicals: Social Learning & Mobilising in Community Development Practice. Ashgate Press.
- Westoby, P. & Morris, K. (2011). “’Community as Dialogue’ and ‘Dialogical Community Development’ with/in Schools’ in Bottrell, D (ed). Schools, Communities and Social Inclusion. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Westoby, P. (2010). ‘Story of Working with Southern Sudanese Refugees in Brisbane and Logan’ in Ingamells, A., Caniglia, F. Lathouras, A. Wiseman, R. & Westoby, P. (ed). Community Development Stories, Method and Meaning. Common Ground Publishers.