Sustainability Steering Committee
The Sustainability Steering Committee (SSC) was established in 2009 to oversee the evolution of UQ’s successful environmental management system into corporate sustainable culture.
SSC is the peak management group of UQ’s Sustainability Management Structure, responsible for embedding sustainability on all of our campuses and sites and across all areas of learning, discovery and engagement. SSC reports directly to the Vice Chancellor.
The committee’s primary avenue for reporting to Senate is through The Chair, however the Vice Chancellor may also report and update Senate on its successes and programs.
The Engagement Working Group is the sub-committee to SSC, tasked with informing the workability of SSC outcomes.
Some of the key focuses are:
Considering environmental, economical and social sustainability in developing and implementing new and existing strategies and programs.
Establishing a sustainable direction for UQ including objectives, targets and plans, and monitoring progress and reporting successes against them.
Engaging with industry groups and organisations to benchmark UQ’s sustainable performance and learn from other’s successes.
- Mr Maurie McNarn, Chief Operating Officer (Chair)
- Professor Deborah Terry, Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
- Professor Michael McManus, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic)
- Professor Max Lu, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, Director, Global Change Institute
- Mr Brett Cunningham, Deputy Director, Sustainable Minerals Institute
- Professor Andrew Griffiths, Director, Sustainable Business Unit, School of Business
- Professor Stephen Walker, Executive Dean, Faculty of Science
- Mr Geoff Dennis, Deputy Director, Property and Facilities Division
- Mr Graham Bethune, Director, Office of Marketing and Communications
- Mr Andrew Betts, Chief Financial Officer
- Professor Alan Rix, Pro-Vice-Chancellor
- Mr Rohan Watt, President, UQ Student Union
- Mr Stuart Green, Manager Sustainability, Property and Facilities Division (Secretary)