Geographical Sciences Single Major
Part of the Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) program
Commencing semesters, 2017
School of Mathematics and Physics
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Science
Phone: 07 3365 1888
International Student Advisor
Phone: Outside Australia: + 61 3 8676 7004
Within Australia (Free Call): 1800 671 980
Why study Geographical Sciences?
Geographical Science investigates the spatial patterns of physical and human phenomena on local, regional and global scales. It examines the patterns and processes of natural and built environments and human activity, how they change over time and how they interact. In the geographical sciences major, students are able to study courses in environmental systems and Earth system science (physical geography), human geography and spatial information science. The major will provide students with the opportunity to gain understanding of the big issues such as climate change, loss of biodiversity, scarcity of freshwater and population growth.
More information about the Geographical Sciences Field of Study.
View the course list for courses that can be studied as part of the Geographical Sciences single major.
A diverse range of employment opportunities are available:
- Climate change assessment and planning
- Climatology and meteorology
- Coastal marine and hydrographic analysis
- Community development
- Conservation, heritage and land management
- Consulting and project management
- Environmental and social impact assessment
- Environmental monitoring and management
- Environmental science
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Hazard assessment, mitigation and disaster management
- International development and aid
- Local and regional development
- Natural resource management and agriculture
- Planning (including urban, regional, environmental, social and transport planning)
- Population analysis
- Public policy
- Public safety, defence and national security
- Remote sensing
- Surveying and geomatics
What it costs
Please view the Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) for indicative fees.
How to apply
Please view the Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) for information on key dates and how to apply.