Deferring studies (Requesting a deferment to commencement of studies)
The procedures required to defer your studies (i.e. officially delay the commencement of your studies for the first time) differ depending on whether you are:
- a domestic undergraduate student
a domestic postgraduate coursework student
- a domestic research higher degree student or
- an international student
The procedures are set out below under each category.
- Domestic Undergraduate Student
Deferment is available for all programs offered through QTAC. If you are a domestic undergraduate student and wish to request a deferment of your QTAC offer for a place, you must respond to your QTAC offer with a deferment response. Deferment will be approved automatically. An approved deferment will lapse if:
- You enrol in Bachelor or higher level courses in a tertiary institution during the deferment period; or
- You fail to complete your enrolment at UQ by the dates specified in the letter of approval you receive from Admissions.
Important! In order to retain and take up your deferred place, you are required to:
- Respond to your QTAC offer with the deferment response by the offer response date;
- Enrol by the date specified by the University in order to take up your deferred place; and
- Not enrol in any tertiary studies at the Bachelor level or higher during the period of deferment.
Your deferment will be automatically approved and UQ will send written notification in October advising deferred students of the enrolment process. You must enrol by the date specified by the University in order to take up your deferred place.
If your program is discontinued by the University during the deferment period, you will be unable to commence studies in your deferred program. UQ will write to you advising alternative study options, however you will be required to re-apply through QTAC.
Note: If you are offered a place to start in Semester 1 and want to postpone commencement until Semester 2 in the year of offer, you should contact your Faculty to see if the program can be commenced in Semester 2 as a number of programs can only be started in Semester 1. Deferments are not available for domestic undergraduate students who are offered mid-year entry.
- Domestic Postgraduate Coursework student
If you are a domestic postgraduate coursework student and wish to defer commencement of your studies, you should contact the Faculty offering the program for advice. If you defer your studies, you will be liable for fees at the rate applicable when you actually commence the program.
Note: Domestic Postgraduate Coursework students offered through QTAC, please refer to deferment procedures for Domestic Undergraduate Students.
- Domestic Research Higher Degree students
If you are a domestic research higher degree student and wish to defer the commencement of your studies, please follow the instructions given on the Graduate School website.
- International Students – all programs
If you are an international student and wish to defer the commencement of your studies, you should contact the Admissions Officer listed on the top of the letter of offer or email UQ International on firstname.lastname@example.org .