MBBS (Provisional Entry for School Leavers)
This pathway is only available for students in their final year of secondary school. Applicants not in their final year of secondary school are no longer eligible for this pathway.
There are 150 Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) in the MBBS (Provisional Entry for School Leavers) Pathway, 25% of the places are Bonded Medical Places.
This pathway requires students to enrol in any bachelor degree offered at The University of Queensland, providing they meet the entry requirements for that degree, before going on to study the medical program. Students are required to complete their first degree at UQ within the minimum time specified as a fulltime student. If students maintain the required grade point average (GPA) over the duration of their first degree they are guaranteed a place in the medical program.
English is the only subject prerequisite that must be completed to be eligible to apply for a place in the medical program however the first degree will likely have further prerequisites. Please refer to the UQ Courses and Programs website for the prerequisite subjects of your chosen first degree: www.uq.edu.au/study.
- OP 1 / Equivalent rank of 99
Students must be in their final year of secondary school at the time of application
- Undergraduate Medical Admissions Test (UMAT)
Please note the requirement for a minimum scaled score of 50 in each of the 3 sections has been removed for the 2013 intake.
Once QTAC has assessed all applications for The University of Queensland applicants are ranked by their UMAT aggregate score. The UMAT cut-off score is determined annually. As it depends on the number of applicants and their scores, the cut-off score cannot be determined before the offers are released.
In some years not all applicants on the cut off score will receive an offer. The UMAT Section 1 sub score is used as a tie breaker in those years.
* In 2011 and 2012, the tie breaking section 1 score was 66.
** In 2013, the tie breaking section 1 score was 76.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) using one or both of the following QTAC codes:
- QTAC Code 721102 (MBBS Provisional Entry for School Leavers): this generic code indicates that you wish to be considered for the MBBS (Provisional Entry for School Leavers) pathway into the medical program and that you wish to undertake one of UQ's undergraduate programs. This code is for an unencumbered place.
- QTAC Code 721202 (MBBS Provisional Entry for School Leavers - Bonded Medical Place): this generic code indicates that you wish to be considered for the MBBS (Provisional Entry for School Leavers) pathway into the medical program and that you wish to undertake one of UQ's undergraduate programs. This code is for a Bonded Medical Place; please refer to the Department of Health and Ageing website for further information regarding the BMP Scheme. Only list this code as a preference if you are willing and prepared to work in a rural area after the completion of your studies.
When you receive an offer of a place, you will have the opportunity to confirm your first degree preference with UQ. More information on this process will be given by UQ once you are made an offer.
UQ does not interview applicants for the medical program.