An International Student Advisor (ISA) can help you to understand and manage the requirements and conditions of your student visa, however, we cannot provide specific migration or visa advice or assistance with a visa application.

Only the Department of Immigration and Border Protection or a registered migration agent can provide advice and specific guidance on visa and migration matters. 

  • Registered Migration Agents

    There is a registered migration agent available at UQ Union's Student Help On Campus (SHOC) who provides free migration and visa advice to UQ students. You normally need to book a couple of weeks in advance as appointments are in high demand. Please note that the SHOC migration agent cannot provide assistance with applications for permanent residency.

    The Migration Agents Registry Authority maintains a list of registered migration agents in Australia. Be aware these agents generally charge a fee for service.

    If you do not have the capacity to pay for a migration agent, the Refugee and Immigration Legal Service (RAILS) may be able to assist. RAILS run evening advice sessions where immigration law advice is provided by volunteer migration agents.

  • Bringing family to Australia

    International Student Advisors can provide general information and advice about bringing your family to Australia, including the practicalities of your family coming to Australia as well as easing the transition for family members joining you here.  

    There are two main visa options for bringing your family to Australia, either on a Visitor Visa or Student Dependant Visa. For Visitor Visa applications, the Student Centre can provide a Letter of Invitation as evidence of your family’s reason for travelling to Australia.

    For assistance with visa applications or specific migration advice, contact ​Department of Immigration and Border Protection or a registered migration agent. 

    Download our guide to bringing your family to Australia

    Australia Award students

    If you are an Australia Award student, meeting with an International Student Advisor (ISA) is a key part of the process of bringing your family to Australia.

    Please make an appointment to see an ISA to discuss bringing your family to Australia and to get the process started.

  • Renewing or extending your student visa

    If you're an international student and your student visa is due to expire soon, you will need to:

    More information about extending your visa