Break down the assignment
Think of assignment writing as a series of steps which include the following:
- Topic analysis
- Developing questions
- Beginning research
- Reading critically
- Taking notes for assignments
- Planning your writing
- Structuring your assignment
- Editing and proofreading
Working through a series of steps is helpful because:
- You think about writing as a set of manageable sub-tasks.
- You are aware of the preparation stages as well as the actual writing stages.
- You can time manage your assignments more easily.
Plan your steps
Include these steps for each assignment on a semester planner that outlines when you will work on different aspects of each assignment throughout the semester so that you can allocate a reasonable amount of time to each assignment.