General Questions

  • What are my accommodation options?

    Your accommodation options really depend on your budget and the campus where your study will be based. There is on-campus residential college accommodation available on both the St Lucia and Gatton campuses. This type of accommodation is generally fully catered, with single bedrooms and shared amenities. There are a small number of self-contained and ensuited rooms on the St Lucia campus only.

    Most UQ students live off-campus in either private rentals or student-specific accommodation. Student-specific accommodation is available for the St Lucia campus and is generally self-catered, with ensuite bedrooms and shared living spaces. More information about student specific accommodation for St Lucia.

    Private rental accommodation comes in a variety of styles including studio apartments, bedrooms in shared houses and units, and vacant properties. Listings for vacancies can be found on UQ Rentals, an online rentals database managed by Accommodation Services. Only UQ students and Staff can access UQ Rentals which makes it a great place to find vacancies close to any of the UQ campuses. You will need to register in order to access the database. Just use your UQ log-in details.

  • Is off campus accommodation far away from campus?

    Not at all – off campus accommodation can be just a short walk or a short bus ride from campus.

    Check out our interactive suburb guide for more information on the most convenient locations for students.

  • How much money do I need?

    Starting a tenancy does have costs associated with it.

    For private rentals, you generally need to pay a bond of four weeks rent plus two weeks advance rent in order to move into your new place. You may also need to pay utility connection fees. Some share houses may only require two weeks bond (or none at all).

    Rent will then generally be paid weekly or fortnightly. On-campus accommodation providers generally require payments to be made at the start of semester, unless other arrangements are made in advance.

  • Will you find me a place to live?

    At Accommodation Services, we provide students with the resources to find and inspect properties independently. We can check your lease, application forms and provide advice if you experience any tenancy problems. Unfortunately, we can’t find, inspect or submit applications for properties on your behalf, as it is important that you inspect the properties to find the one that is right for you.

  • Do you have a noticeboard where I can find ads for places to live?

    UQ Rentals is our online noticeboard! You can look for rooms in shared properties or vacant properties if you want to share with friends or have your family with you. Start searching for properties on UQ Rentals.

  • When should I start looking for my long term accommodation?

    We recommend that students arrive in Queensland at least 2 weeks before orientation week begins in order to inspect and secure their long term accommodation. The closer to semester students arrive, the more competition there is for long term accommodation. You need to ensure that you have enough time to inspect a few different properties and compare the various accommodation options available to you.

  • How do I start searching for long term accommodation?

    Start your search for long term accommodation with these simple steps:

    • Arrange temporary accommodation: you will need somewhere to stay for your first few days in Brisbane so you can find, inspect and apply for accommodation. We recommend that students book at least a week of temporary accommodation to give them time to find suitable long term accommodation. To help, we have lists of temporary accommodation providers arranged by campus.
    • Attend an Accommodation Session: these sessions will give you advice on how to find accommodation and what your rights and responsibilities are under Queensland tenancy law. Dates for the next accommodation sessions can be found online.
  • I’m an exchange student here for one semester. Where should I look for accommodation?

    Many visiting exchange students stay with one of the student specific accommodation providers if they are attending St Lucia campus. More information about these providers can be found online. There are also a lot of properties in the private rental market that are available for 6 month leases. Check them out on UQ Rentals.

  • Where should I live?

    The answer to this question is different for every student. Location is an important consideration as you start to look for long term accommodation. It’s important to think practically when you consider location – make sure your campus is accessible by public transport, look for local shops to get your groceries and consider the impact of schools and busy roads on transport at peak travel times. It’s equally important to consider whether you will have access to the facilities you need for your hobbies and what the area offers for social activities on the weekend! For more information about different areas in Brisbane, check out our suburb guide.

  • I’m a visiting PhD student. What kind of accommodation will be appropriate for me?

    Your accommodation options will vary depending on how long your visit at UQ will be. If you are visiting for a period of less than six months, check out your short-term accommodation options. If you are staying for six months or longer, check out our preferred providers or UQ Rentals.

Short-Term Accommodation

  • What accommodation do you have for summer semesters?

    Several of the residential colleges offer short-term accommodation over holiday periods. More information can be found by contacting each of the residential colleges. You may also be able to obtain off-campus accommodation for summer semester utilising UQ Rentals as many students advertise their rooms over the holiday periods. You need to ensure that you are aware of the terms of any agreement that you complete (particularly start and end dates), and also ensure that the person advertising the room has the permission from the lessor to sublet.

  • How long can you stay in short term accommodation?

    Generally six months is the shortest lease period in private rental accommodation, student-specific accommodation and on-campus accommodation.

    If you are here for shorter periods (as a visiting academic or research student for example), you will need to look at providers that have no fixed-term stay. Some of these providers will charge nightly, weekly or monthly rates.

    Take a look at our list of providers.

  • I’ve found a short term rental to sublet from a student on holidays. What do I need to know?

    Some students will sublet their room in a shared property over the summer holidays. To sublet, a tenant needs written permission from their lessor to sublet in their absence. You also need to check the start and end dates of the agreement so you know what period you are committing to pay rent for. If you are charged a bond in a sublet listing, it must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority. Your name should also be added to the lease agreement for the period you will be staying in the property.

  • I’m only studying at UQ for a short time, is it easy to break a lease?

    We do not recommend that you sign up for a lease that is longer than you intend to live at the property. To leave a lease agreement early, you need to break your lease. Breaking your lease can be an expensive process – you may have to pay a break lease fee and you will be legally required to pay rent until a replacement tenant can be found. For further advice on breaking leases, come and see the staff at Accommodation Services or contact the Residential Tenancies Authority directly.

Long-Term Accommodation

  • How do I apply for on-campus accommodation?

    You need to apply for college accommodation very early, as applications close well before the start of the following semester for most colleges. Check closing dates for the colleges on their respective websites, as dates vary between each one. The colleges are all managed independently of UQ, so you are best to contact them directly with any questions.

  • What options do I have if I am bringing my family with me?

    If your family will be with you while you are studying, a vacant property in the private rental market might be the best option. Vacant properties can be found on UQ Rentals. Try a properties search from the UQ Rentals homepage. For more listings, check out or Please be aware that family housing can be more expensive and that you need to apply for a property that is appropriate for your family size. We suggest arriving by yourself first, and then arrange for your family to join you once you have secured suitable accommodation.

  • Where do we find the cheapest places to stay that are still close to campus?

    UQ Rentals is a good place to start, but to find cheap accommodation you need to do some research and compare prices. Knowledge is power – the more research you do, the more likely you are to find a cheap property that suits your accommodation needs. You will also need to give yourself time to find and inspect properties – we recommend students arrive in Queensland 2 weeks before orientation week to secure accommodation.

  • Rent in St Lucia is a bit expensive. What other options do I have?

    Students at St Lucia are fortunate to have a variety of accommodation options available in several areas close to campus. Students have easy access to suburbs like West End, Dutton Park, Highgate Hill and Greenslopes via the Eleanor Schonell Bridge (usually called the Green Bridge). Accommodation in these suburbs can be more reasonably priced and have the added bonus of easy access to Brisbane city. 

    Don’t just limit your search to St Lucia. While it might be tempting to find a place in walking distance so you can roll straight out of bed and into your lectures, you will often find better quality, more affordable properties if you widen your search area. 

    St Lucia is well-serviced by high frequency buses and ferries, so commuting can still be pretty painless from surrounding suburbs.

  • Should I take the first property I inspect?

    You should always shop around when you are looking at long-term accommodation. You want to make sure you get the best deal.

    Shortlist a few properties and inspect them all – compare rental prices, location and the quality of the accommodation.

  • What should I look for when I inspect properties?

    Check for any visible damage to the property as well as for heating/cooling facilities, flyscreens and appropriate security. We provide students with these inspection tips and a whole lot more at our Accommodation Session – check out when the next session will run here. Also check out the surrounding area to ensure that it is convenient – look for bus stops, a grocery store or shops etc.

  • What should I expect to pay for electricity and other utilities?

    Utilities are generally charged quarterly (every three months), so the bills can be large when they arrive. We suggest students budget between $1 to $1.50 per day for electricity. If you put this money aside weekly, then you will have a pool of cash to draw on when your bills arrive. Just remember that if you’re using your air-conditioning a lot through the summer then you should budget for your bills to be higher as air conditioners can use a lot of electricity. Check your tenancy agreement to see what utilities you are responsible for paying for.

  • Is there a place I can find and meet housemates?

    At the moment, listings for vacancies in existing share houses can be found online at UQ Rentals. There are some housemate matching websites out there but students give mixed feedback as to the usefulness of them.

  • Do real-estate agents charge fees to look at vacant listings?

    In Queensland agents cannot charge application fees if you are looking at their listings. You may be asked to pay management fees of some kind once you become a tenant. A deposit may also be requested once your application has been approved. This amount is then deducted from your remaining set-up costs.

  • Which suburbs have the best public transport?

    Check out our interactive suburb guide for information on the public transport options in different areas. If you want to look at the public transport options from a specific property in an area, visit the Translink website and use their Journey Planner search function to find out how you can get to campus.

  • I’m about to put in an application on a property I like – what supporting documents will I need?

    Different real-estate agents and lessors may want slightly different documents to support your application for a property. Normally, there will be information on the application form about which documents are preferred. If you are unsure about providing documents just contact the agent or lessor to ask them.

    You will usually need to submit a copy of your identification as well as proof of your income. You may also need the details of previous landlords (if you have them). It is always a good idea to carry some copies of these documents with you to inspections. That way you can complete an application form while you are there if you like the property.

Starting Your Tenancy

  • What do I do now that I have found a place that I like?

    Once you have inspected a property, and you are happy with it, the next step is to start the paperwork. If the property is managed by a real-estate agent then you will need to submit an application. If the property is privately managed by the owner, then you may only need to tell them you are interested in taking the place. After your application is approved, or the owner has confirmed you will be able to take the room, then you will need to sign your agreement. Remember, if there is anything in the rental agreement that you are not sure of you should not sign it. Staff at Accommodation Services can check leases if you are unsure about the contents of your lease. Contact us here to make an appointment.

  • What is the difference between a tenancy agreement and a rooming accommodation agreement?

    In a tenancy agreement you will be the tenant and the person you are renting from (the agent/ owner of property) will be the lessor. Under a tenancy agreement, you take possession and have a right to access the whole property. In a rooming accommodation agreement, you are the resident and the person you are renting from is the accommodation provider. Under a rooming accommodation agreement, you take possession of your bedroom and have access to the shared living space in the property. There are different levels of protection and rules depending on the agreement that you sign, so make sure you understand what you are signing.

  • How much do I have to pay in bond?

    According to Queensland tenancy law, the maximum bond amount that can be charged is four times the weekly rent. If the lessor charges a bond, it must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority, and an entry condition report must be given to the tenant to complete.

  • I’m not sure about my lease. What should I do?

    If you are feeling uncertain about something in a lease or don’t understand part of the agreement, don’t sign the agreement. Ask the lessor for some time to consider the agreement and come in and see staff at Accommodation Services. We can check leases and refer students on to the Residential Tenancies Authority for further advice.

  • Utilities are included in my rent. Should this be in my lease agreement?

    If utilities are included in your rent, then this should be included in your written tenancy agreement. In a standard form agreement from the Residential Tenancies Authority, there is a section for including who pays for utilities.

  • How much detail should I put on my entry condition report?

    You should always be as detailed as possible when completing your entry condition report – check behind furnishings and doors for non-visible damage and make sure all appliances work. If you don’t have enough space on the entry condition form then you can attach extra pages (as long as you sign and date them). You can also attach photographs to the report to support the comments you have made. If there is a dispute at the end of the tenancy about the condition of a property, the Residential Tenancies Authority will use the entry condition report to determine how the bond is refunded.

During Your Tenancy

  • What should I do if I damage something in the property?

    If you or your guests damage the property or furnishings you should contact your lessor as soon as possible to report the damage. If you come to an informal agreement about how you will pay for the damage make sure you get it in writing and keep a record of any payments made to the lessor.

  • What should I do if something in the property falls into disrepair?

    If some part of the property falls into disrepair as the result of normal use then you need to get in touch with your lessor as soon as possible. Your lessor is responsible for maintenance of the property. Just remember – for routine repairs (anything that is not threatening to your health and safety) your lessor usually has up to a month to fix the problem.

  • Can my lessor just turn up to inspect the property?

    Lessors are entitled to make four routine property inspections per year but they must give one week’s notice to make this kind of inspection in writing. As a general rule, any time the lessor (or a tradesperson required for maintenance) enters the property they should give notice to you as the tenant. Notice periods are different for rooming accommodation agreements. Rooms can be routinely inspected no more than once a month and the provider needs to give you 48 hours notice of the inspection.

  • I am having a disagreement with my lessor. What should I do?

    Always try and resolve the matter informally first if you feel comfortable approaching the lessor. If you are having a disagreement with your lessor, you can come and speak to staff at Accommodation Services at any time for information and advice. Contact Accommodation Services for an appointment.

Ending Your Tenancy

  • I’m moving out. What do I need to do to get my bond back?

    If you’re moving out, grab a copy of our moving out checklist for advice on cleaning and handing back the property.

  • My lessor wants to take money out of my bond. What should I do?

    If you disagree with the bond refund amount your lessor is proposing, do not sign the bond refund form and seek advice from the Residential Tenancies Authority

  • My lessor says the property is not clean enough. What can I do?

    If your lessor tells you that the property is not clean enough, ask if you can go back to the property and clean any areas they are unhappy with. If you paid a cleaning service to do a bond clean (where they guarantee that the property will pass the exit inspection for cleanliness) get in touch with company and arrange with the lessor to have them come back out the remedy the problem. If you cannot resolve the issue informally, and your lessor wants to charge money from your bond, you can dispute the bond refund. Contact staff at Accommodation Services or the Residential Tenancies Authority for further advice.

  • I am having a disagreement with my lessor. What should I do?

    Always try and resolve the matter informally first if you feel comfortable approaching the lessor. If you are having a disagreement with your lessor, you can come and speak to staff at Accommodation Services at any time for information and advice. Contact Accommodation Services for an appointment.

Help with Tenancy Matters

  • I need to leave my tenancy. What should I do?

    This is called breaking your lease. You will need to give your lessor notice of your intention to leave as soon as possible. It can be an expensive process – if you are renting a property managed by a real-estate agent then you may have to pay a break lease fee (usually one or two weeks rent). You are also responsible for paying rent until a replacement tenant can be found. This may mean that you pay rent until the end of the tenancy period you signed up for even if you move out. As a rule, you should never sign a tenancy agreement that is for longer than you can stay at the property. For further information, come and see the staff at Accommodation Services or contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.

  • Where can I get tenancy advice?

    If you are having a problem with your landlord, and you feel comfortable approaching your lessor, discuss it with them informally first. If you reach an informal agreement about the issue, try to get it in writing (even this is in the form of an email). If you need further tenancy advice you can contact the staff at Accommodation Services, the Residential Tenancies Authority or the Tenant’s Union of Queensland. All of these organisations will provide tenancy advice to you free of charge.


  • I have a room that I want to lease. Can I put it on your notice board?

    Accommodation Services manage an online rental database called UQ Rentals. UQ Rentals is restricted to UQ students and staff, so only users will be able to view your contact details. We invite members of the public to place listings on UQ rentals for vacant rooms and properties on UQ Rentals.

    Register as an accommodation provider

    1. Visit
    2. Click on the ‘Register’ link under the heading ‘Accommodation Providers’ on the right hand side of the page.
    3. Complete the online form and click on the black ‘Register’ button.

    List a property on UQ Rentals

    1. ‘Sign in’ to UQ Rentals using the link under the heading ‘Accommodation Providers’ on the right hand of the page using your email address and password. Remember the UQ Rentals homepage is:
    2. Click on the white link ‘Dashboard’ on the top right hand side of the page.
    3. From your Dashboard, click on the black ‘+ add a listing’ button
    4. Fill out the listing form and click the black ‘Preview’ button at the bottom of the page
    5. Submit your listing
  • How much should I charge for a room in my property?

    Working out an appropriate weekly rental price for a room can be hard as in large part this depends on the size of the room, the furnishings and the location of the property in relation to UQ campuses. One of the best strategies is to look on UQ Rentals or and for pricing of similar accommodation.

  • When is the best time to place a listing on UQ Rentals?

    The largest intake of students at all University of Queensland campuses is at the start of the undergraduate academic year, which commences at the end of February or beginning of March each year. If you want to catch the undergraduates, the best time to have your listing up is by mid-January, as we advise new students to arrive early to find their accommodation.

  • My property is vacant outside of February. Will I be able to find a student tenant?

    While most new undergraduate students look for their accommodation in January and February each year, there is a second undergraduate intake in July each year for Semester 2. Some students only sign a six month lease and need to move mid-year. Research higher degree students also arrive coinciding with the commencement of four research quarters across the calendar year – so it is possible to find student tenants outside the February student intake.

Residential College Applications

  • When should I apply for college?

    Applications for Semester 1 usually close late October. First year domestic students will need to apply to college before they receive their offer from QTAC for their program at the University of Queensland.

  • I have a question about college or my college application. Who should I ask?

    The colleges at St Lucia campus are independently managed so all inquiries should be directed to the college you are interested in. If you have applied through the college preference system and you have a question about your application, please contact your first preference college. The contact details for all the colleges are available here.

  • Where can I find on-campus accommodation?

    On-campus accommodation is available on the St Lucia and Gatton campuses. On the St Lucia campus there are 10 residential colleges, which are a mix of single sex and unisex dorms. On Gatton campus there are 4 halls of residence. There is no on-campus accommodation on Herston campuses, however there are a range of off-campus options to suit all budgets.

  • How much does on-campus accommodation cost?

    Prices vary between individual colleges. Generally, upfront payment is required at the start of each semester unless other arrangements are made in advance. Costs depend on whether you wish to remain in your dorm over semester breaks, elect a catered or self-catered option (where available), as well as whether you have shared amenities or an ensuite. As a guide, fees average $17000 per year.

  • How do I change my preferences for my college application?

    You can enter up to three preferences on your college application, however if you wish to change these (or make any other amendments to your application), you need to contact your first preference college. Staff at Accommodation Services are unable to assist with making changes to your college applications.