Frequently Asked Questions
Is counselling like psychiatry?
Counselling bears little relation to psychiatry except that both deal with emotional and mental processes.
Psychiatrists are trained doctors, who work largely through diagnosis of illness and then by prescribing a treatment - usually involving medication.
Counsellors are normally non-medical professionals, who work by talking and encouraging you to find your own solutions.
Counsellors can however recognize the symptoms of severe mental distress, and may suggest you consider medical help if this is appropriate.
Connect with us
- Tue 31 May 2016, 9:00 am9:00am to 11:00amLearning
- Tue 31 May 2016, 10:00 am10:00am to 11:00amPractical Help and Advice
- Tue 31 May 2016, 3:00 pm3:00pm to 4:00pmPractical Help and Advice
- Wed 1 Jun 2016, 10:00 am10:00am to 12:00pmPractical Help and Advice
- Wed 1 Jun 2016, 11:00 am11:00am to 12:00pmInternational