Fairfax Journalism Awards open
UQ journalism students have an enviable record of success in the $10,000 JB Fairfax Award for Rural Journalism, which has opened for 2012.
SJC students have won the award three of the past four years, with Brooke Hargraves successful in 2008, Melody Pedler in 2010, and Alison Francis in 2011. No SJC students entered in 2009.
Brooke has worked as a reporter at newspapers in Victoria and Queensland, and Melody is a reporter at The Queensland Country Life. Alison is in her second year of studies, and has also been working with Melody on the newspaper.
The JB Fairfax Award aims to encourage university students to pursue a career in rural journalism upon graduation. The award was established through a private donation from Mr John B Fairfax AO.
The award includes a scholarship of up to $10,000 and practical work experience at Rural Press and the 2013 Sydney Royal Easter Show. The winning article is published in a major rural publication.
An additional selection requirement has been introduced for the 2012 award, with entrants asked to write a 600-word story, as well as the usual 1200 word feature.
Applicants for the award must:
· Be enrolled to study in any undergraduate or postgraduate degree of relevance to rural affairs at an approved Australian education provider
· Submit a feature article of up to 1,200 words, exploring a contemporary issue, trend or activity of interest to rural and regional communities. The feature must be of publication standard, including a minimum of four sources in the article
· Submit a news article of up to 600 words on the topic "Foreign Ownership of Australia's Agricultural Land", The news article must be of publication standard, including a minimum of three sources including a primary producer
· Demonstrate an active interest in rural affairs and in pursuing a career in rural journalism upon graduation
· Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
· Be aged 30 years or under
The website for the award is http://www.rasnsw.com.au/830.htm
Brad Turner is the coordinator of SJC student entries. Anyone interested in entering should contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries close on September 30.