I studied Animal Physiology, Plant Physiology and Biochemistry as part of my undergraduate degree at the University of Tübingen in Germany before conducting research for my Diploma (Masters equivalent) at the Max-Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics (Tübingen). Under the guidance of Nico Troje, Deszö Varju and Heinrich Bülthoff, I studied visual perception (animal and human) and was trained in various psychophysics methodologies. During my undergraduate degree, I spent 12 months at the University of Queensland where I was exposed to marine science. Combining my interests in visual systems and marine science I completed a PhD at the University of Queensland under the guidance of Justin Marshall and Jack Pettigrew working on ultraviolet vision of coral reef fishes. Since then I have held a number of postdoctoral positions at the University of Queensland, including a ARC Australian Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Newport, Cait, Wallis, Guy, Temple, Shelby E. and Siebeck, Ulrike E. (2013) Complex, context-dependent decision strategies of archerfish, Toxotes chatareus. Animal Behaviour, 86 6: 1265-1274. doi:10.1016/j.anbehav.2013.09.031
- Zamzow, Jill P., Siebeck, Ulrike E., Eckes, Maxi J. and Grutter, Alexandra S. (2013) Ultraviolet-B Wavelengths Regulate Changes in UV Absorption of Cleaner Fish Labroides dimidiatus Mucus. PLoS One, 8 10: . doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0078527
- Van-Eyk, Sarah M., Siebeck, Ulrike E., Champ, Connor M., Marshall, Justin and Hart, Nathan S. (2011) Behavioural evidence for colour vision in an elasmobranch. Journal of Experimental Biology, 214 24: 4186-4192. doi:10.1242/jeb.061853
- Leis, Jeffrey M., Siebeck, Ulrike and Dixson, Danielle L. (2011) How Nemo finds home: The neuroecology of dispersal and of population connectivity in larvae of marine fishes. Integrative and Comparative Biology, 51 5: 826-843. doi:10.1093/icb/icr004
- Siebeck, Ulrike E., Parker, Amira N., Sprenger, Dennis, Mathger, Lydia M. and Wallis, Guy (2010) A species of reef fish that uses ultraviolet patterns for covert face recognition. Current Biology, 20 5: 407-410. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2009.12.047
- Siebeck, U. E., Litherland, L. and Wallis, G. M. (2009) Shape learning and discrimination in reef fish. Journal of Experimental Biology, 212 13: 2112-2118. doi:10.1242/jeb.028936
- Siebeck, U. E., Wallis, G. M. and Litherland, L. (2008) Colour vision in coral reef fish. Journal of Experimental Biology, 211 3: 354-360. doi:10.1242/jeb.012880
- Siebeck, UE and Marshall, NJ (2007) Potential ultraviolet vision in pre-settlement larvae and settled reef fish - A comparison across 23 families. Vision Research, 47 17: 2337-2352. doi:10.1016/j.visres.2007.05.014
- Siebeck, U., Losey, G. S. and Marshall, J. (2006). UV Communication in fish. In Fredrich Ladich, Shaun P. Collin, Peter Moller and B. G. Kapoor (Ed.), Communication in Fishes (pp. 423-456) Enfield U.S.A.: Science Publisher Inc.
- Siebeck, U. E., Marshall, N. J., Kluter, A. and Hoegh-Guldberg, O. (2006) Monitoring coral bleaching using a colour reference card. Coral Reefs, 25 3: 453-460. doi:10.1007/s00338-006-0123-8
- Siebeck, Ulrike E., Collin, Shaun P., Ghoddusi, Majid and Marshall, N. Justin (2003) Occlusable corneas in toadfishes: light transmission, movement and ultrastruture of pigment during light- and dark-adaptation. Journal of Experimental Biology, 206 13: 2177-2190. doi:10.1242/jeb.00401
- Land, M. F., Marshall, N. J., Mathger, L. and Siebeck, U. (2003). Rapid colour changes in whiptails. In: Proceedings of the Australian Neuroscience Society. 23rd Annual Meeting of the Australian Neuroscience Society, Adelaide, Australia, (). January 2003.
- Siebeck, Ulrike E. and Marshall, N. Justin (2001) Ocular media transmission of coral reef fish - can coral reef fish see ultraviolet light?. Vision Research, 41 2: 133-149. doi:10.1016/S0042-6989(00)00240-6
International Society for Neuroethology (ISN)
How do coral reef fish cope with elevated UV levels