Brian Key oversees the teaching of Developmental Biology in the Science curriculum at the University of Queensland. Brian teaches developmental biology at all levels of the undergraduate experience. In first year he instructs the students of BIOL1040 (Cells to organisms) in the marvels of stem cell biology. During second year the students in BIOM2208 (Differentiation and Development) are introduced to how embryos build intricate tissues and organs. In third year, Brian leads the students through the mechanisms of axon growth and regeneration in DEVB3001 (Developmental Neurobiology), functioning of the olfactory system in BIOM3014 (Molecular and Cellular Physiology) and embryology in BIOM3002 (Human Biomedical Anatomy).
- Key, Brian (2015) Why fish (likely) don't feel pain. New York, NY, USA, Massimo Pigliucci.
- Key, Brian (2014) Fish do not feel pain and its implications for understanding phenomenal consciousness. Biology and Philosophy, 30 2: 149-165. doi:10.1007/s10539-014-9469-4
- James, G., Key, B. and Beverdam, A. (2014) The E3 ubiquitin ligase Mycbp2 genetically interacts with Robo2 to modulate axon guidance in the mouse olfactory system. Brain Structure and Function, 219 3: 861-874. doi:10.1007/s00429-013-0540-8
- Beverdam, Annemiek, Claxton, Christina, Zhang, Xiaomeng, James, Gregory, Harvey, Kieran F. and Key, Brian (2013) Yap controls stem/progenitor cell proliferation in the mouse postnatal epidermis. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 133 6: 1497-1505. doi:10.1038/jid.2012.430
- St John, James A. and Key, Brian (2012) HuC-eGFP mosaic labelling of neurons in zebrafish enables in vivo live cell imaging of growth cones. Journal of Molecular Histology, 43 6: 615-623. doi:10.1007/s10735-012-9462-7
- Gaudin, Arnaud, Hofmeister, Wolfgang and Key, Brian (2012) Chemoattractant axon guidance cues regulate de novo axon trajectories in the embryonic forebrain of zebrafish. Developmental Biology, 367 2: 126-139. doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2012.04.032
- Lah, Grace J. and Key, Brian (2012) Novel roles of the chemorepellent axon guidance molecule RGMa in cell migration and adhesion. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 32 5: 968-980. doi:10.1128/MCB.06128-11
- Key, Brian and Lah, Grace J. (2012) Repulsive guidance molecule A (RGMa): A molecule for all seasons. Cell Adhesion and Migration, 6 2: 85-90. doi:10.4161/cam.20167
Plos One Editorial Board (July 2012–present)
Reviews Editor, Frontiers in Neurogenesis (April 2012-present)
International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience Editorial Board (1999-present)
PhD. (University of Queensland)