Keep in mind that AEC approval must be obtained for any scientific use of animals, before you use the animals.

At UQ, animals are used for various scientific purposes in both research and in teaching: this includes laboratory research, teaching classes, veterinary science, companion animal and production animal settings, and in the wild (be it terrestrial or marine). All UQ researchers, teaching staff and students using live non-human vertebrates, cephalopods or crustaceans (if working interstate) require approval from an Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) prior to commencing any animal work.

“Scientific use of animals” means using animals for any: 

  • procedure
  • test
  • experiment
  • inquiry
  • investigation
  • teaching activity
  • study

An animal for the purpose of scientific use means:

  • all vertebrates excluding human beings (e.g. mammals, birds, fish, amphibians, reptiles)
  • cephalopods (e.g. octopus, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus)
  • crustaceans (e.g. lobster, crab and crayfish) (only in certain states but not in QLD)

The term “animal” also includes non-human vertebrates, cephalopods and crustaceans in the early stages of their development: 

  • embryonic
  • foetal
  • larval forms

As a guide, when embryos, foetuses and larval forms have reached half their gestation or incubation period, or they become capable of independent feeding, you should consider the potential for the experience of pain or distress in these animals.

If you are unsure contact the Animal Ethics Unit before commencing work.

Work not requiring full Animal Ethics Committee approval

When using vertebrate or higher order invertebrate cadavers, abattoir specimens, previously obtained biological samples, observing animals from a distance or other variations of similar animal use, full approval is not required. In this case you are required to obtain an ANRFA (Approval Not Requiring Full Application), and provide the following information in the form of an email to the AEU.

  • Title of project/work
  • Where and from whom will the material be obtained, and how will it be obtained? (AEC numbers required if from other projects)
  • If native wildlife/endangered species samples, are permits required?
  • Confirm that you will be receiving tissue only; no animals will be euthanised solely for this work
  • Why is the material required and what is hoped to be achieved from the work being conducted?
  • How much material is required?
  • Who will be involved in this work?
  • Where will the material be stored and how will it be stored?
  • Where will the work be carried out?
  • For how long will the approval be required?
Go to top