Professor Nick Shaw
Room 7047, Level 7, Pharmacy Australia Centre of Excellence
Phone: +61 7-334-61930; Fax: +61 7-334-61999
Nick Shaw was appointed to the School as Professor in January 2004 and undertook the role of Head of School of Pharmacy at UQ from 1st July 2004 until 31st December 2014.
Nick is a pharmacist, graduating PhD from the University of Manchester in 1985 and was a member of the academic staff of the University of Nottingham from 1985-2003. He was appointed a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry in 1994 and a Fellow of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society in 2010. He previously founded and chaired the Council of Pharmacy Schools (Australia and New Zealand); he is a director of the Australian Pharmacy Council, was a member of the Accreditation Committee for a number of years and was the chair of the Australian Pharmacy Liaison Forum in 2011.
He currently teaches across a range of subjects to the first, second and third years of the BPharm (Hons) course at UQ. Nick has supervised and co-supervised over 45 PhD and research Masters students.
In 2013 Nick was awarded the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia’s Bowl of Hygeia for services to the profession.
- Application of a range of analytical methodologies to solve clinical and health-related problems
- Metabolite profiling methodology applied to nutrient profiles of tropical and other plants and secondary metabolite identification and quantitation from bacteria
- Drug metabolism, biopharmaceutics, drug delivery and pharmacokinetic studies
- Education, curriculum development and workforce issues in pharmacy
- Bose U, Hewavitharana AK, Ng YK, Shaw PN, Fuerst JA, Hodson MP (2015) LC-MS-Based Metabolomics Study of Marine Bacterial Secondary Metabolite and Antibiotic Production in Salinispora arenicola. Marine Drugs, 13, 249-266
- Rajaram H, Palanivelu MK, Arumugam TV, Rao VM, Shaw PN, McGeary RP, Ross BP (2014) ‘Click’ assembly of glycoclusters and discovery of a trehalose analogue that retards Ab40 aggregation and inhibits Ab40-induced neurotoxicity. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 24, 4523–4528.
- Noble C, O'Brien M, Coombes I, Shaw PN, Nissen L, Clavarino A (2014) Becoming a pharmacist: Students' perceptions of their curricular experience and professional identity formation. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning 6, 327-339.
- Dang NTT, Sivakumaran H, Harrich D, Shaw PN, Davis-Poynter N, Coombes AGA (2014) Synergistic activity of tenofovir and nevirapine combinations released from polycaprolactone matrices for potential enhanced prevention of HIV infection through the vaginal route. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 88, 406-414.
- Dang NTT, Sivakumaran H, Harrich D, Shaw PN, Coombes AGA (2014). Evaluation of polycaprolactone matrices for sustained vaginal delivery of nevirapine in the prevention of heterosexual HIV transmission. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 103, 2107–2115
- Noble C, Coombes I, Nissen L, Shaw PN, Clavarino A (2014) Pharmacy educators' intention for the curriculum: an Australian pilot study. Pharmacy Education 14, 48-56
- Bose U, Hodson MP, Shaw PN, Fuerst JA, Hewavitharana AK (2014) Two peptides, cycloaspeptide a and nazumamide a, from a sponge associated marine actinobacterium Salinispora sp. Natural Product Communications, 9, 545-546.
- Noble C, Coombes I, Shaw PN, Nissen LM, Clavarino A. (2014) Becoming a pharmacist: the role of curriculum in professional identity formation. Pharmacy Practice; 12, 380, 1-13
- Asvadi NH, Morgan M, Hewavitharana AK, Shaw PN, Cabot PJ (2014) Biotransformation of betaendorphin and possible therapeutic implications. Frontiers in Pharmacology doi: 10.3389/fphar.2014.00018
- Ng YK, Hodson MP, Hewavitharana AK, Bose U, Shaw PN, Fuerst JA (2014) Effects of salinity on antibiotic production in sponge- derived Salinispora actinobacteria. Journal of Applied Microbiology doi:10.1111/jam.12507
- Asvadi NH, Morgan M, Herath HM, Hewavitharana AK, Shaw PN and Cabot PJ (2014) Beta-Endorphin 1- 31 Biotransformation and cAMP Modulation in Inflammation. PLoS One, 9 3: e90380.1-e90380.
- *Hewavitharana AK, Darch KM and Shaw PN (2014) Hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatographytandem mass spectrometric determination of creatinine in human urine. Analytical Letters, 47, 689-696.
- *Pierson JT, Monteith GR, Roberts-Thomson SJ, Dietzgen RG, Gidley MJ, Shaw PN (2014). Phytochemical extraction, characterisation and comparative distribution across four mango (Mangifera indica L.) fruit varieties. Food Chemistry 149, 253-263
- Bose U, Hewavitharana AK, Vidgen ME, Ng YK, Shaw PN, Fuerst JA and Hodson MP (2014) Discovering the recondite secondary metabolome spectrum of Salinispora species: a study of inter-species diversity. PLoS One, 9 3, e91488.1-e91488.10.
- Bose U, Hodson MP, Shaw PN, Fuerst JA, Hewavitharana AK (2014) Bacterial production of the fungusderived cholesterol-lowering agent mevinolin. Biomedical Chromatography DOI: 10.1002/bmc.3138 DP160101495 (Draft) A/Prof Kathryn Steadman PDF Created: 4/02/2015 Page 44 of 106
- Hewavitharana AK, Tan SK, Shaw PN (2014). Strategies for the detection and elimination of matrix effects in quantitative LC- MS analysis LCGC North America 32, 54-64
- Gomes FP, Shaw PN, Whitfield K, Koorts P, Hewavitharana AK (2013). Recent trends in the determination of vitamin D. Bioanalysis 5, 3063-3078
- *Al-Shehri S, Henman M, Charles BG, Cowley D, Shaw PN, Liley H, Tomarchio A, Punyadeera C, Duley JA (2013) Collection and determination of nucleotide metabolites in neonatal and adult saliva by high performance liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry Journal of Chromatography B 931, 140-147
- *Hewavitharana AK, Tan, ZW, Shimada, R, Shaw, PN (2013) Between fruit variability of the bioactive compounds, b-carotene and mangiferin, in mango (Mangifera indica) Nutrition & Dietetics 70, 158-163
- Ng YK, Hewavitharana AK, Webb R, Shaw PN, Fuerst JA (2013) Developmental cycle and pharmaceutically relevant compounds of Salinispora actinobacteria isolated from Great Barrier Reef marine sponges. Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology 97, 3097-3108
- Taing MW, Pierson JT, Shaw PN, Dietzgen RG, Roberts-Thomson, SJ, Gidley, MJ, Monteith, GR (2013) Mango (Mangifera indica L) peel extract fractions from different cultivars differentially affect lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocyte cells Food and Function 4, 481-491
- Kutyla MJ, Lambert LK, Davies NM, McGeary RP, Shaw PN, Ross BP (2013) Cyclodextrin-crosslinked poly(acrylic acid): synthesis, physicochemical characterization and controlled release of diflunisal and fluconazole from hydrogels International Journal of Pharmaceutics 444, 175-184
- Kutyla MJ, Boehm MW, Stokes JR, Shaw PN, Davies NM, McGeary RP, Tuke J, Ross BP (2013) Cyclodextrin-crosslinked poly(acrylic acid): adhesion and controlled release of diflunisal and fluconazole from solid dosage forms AAPS PharmSciTech 14, 301-311
- Herath HMDR, Kim RR, Cabot PJ, Shaw PN, Hewavitharana AK (2013) Inaccuracies in the quantification of peptides – a case study using beta-endorphin assay LCGC North America 31, 58-61
- Nguyen TTT, Shaw PN, Parat MO, Hewavitharana AK (2013) Anticancer activity of Carica papaya: A review Molecular Nutrition and Food Research 57, 153-164