UQ’s 2016 advertising campaign
UQ’s 2016 campaign advertising officially kicked off on Sunday 19 June. This year, we continue the theme of "Create change", and introduce three new stories:
- Jessica Orr landed a graduate position at Boeing, designing the next generation of aircrafts.
- Matthew Versluys helped develop the online platform that brought the World of Warcraft series to millions of players around the world.
- Taylah Hasaballah travels the world for Google searching for innovations that are shaping our digital future (in production, airs Sunday 26 June).
The new stories feature across TV, radio, outdoor, online, press and cinema and on the campaign microsite – uq.edu.au/create-change.
On Thursday 16 June, UQ celebrated the launch of the campaign with an opening night screening of the film Warcraft. Current and prospective students attended the exclusive event where we treated them to free popcorn and soft drinks, as well as a number of prize giveaways. You can view the fun from the night in the Facebook wrap up video.
If you have any questions about the 2016 campaign, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New photos on UQ Images
As part of OMC's updates to UQ Images, we would like to let you know about recent general-use images that OMC have uploaded to the UQ Images database. We will be including regular reports in The Network with the latest images.
The list below includes the OMC set number, which you can use to search for images on OMC – simply go to the Advanced Search page and type the set number (or range of numbers) in the OMC Set Number fields.
5654 Careers that Shape the World and ESP
5632 VIP Boardroom Luncheon in celebration of the Confucius Institute
5549 Professor Norbert Lammert visits and lectures at QBI
5613 Professor Peter Harrison, Australian Laureate Fellow and Director of IASH
5618 Professor Penelope Sanderson, UQ Awards for Excellence in RHD Supervision winner
5642 Mr Greg Pringle, Chief Operating Officer
5673 New UQ Provost, Professor Aidan Byrne (NB Photography credit must be included in external publications/print/web)
5687 Professor Peter Høj, Vice-Chancellor and President
5674 Student life at Cromwell College
5675 Student life at Duchesne College
5676 Student life at Emmanuel College
5677 Student life at Grace College
5678 Student life at International House
5679 Student life at King’s College
5680 Student life at St John’s College
5681 Student life at St Leo’s College
5682 Student life at Union College
5683 Student life at Women’s College
5671 International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, UQ Allies Program
5672 Great Court Race Day 2016
If you have any questions about these images, please email email@example.com or call ext. 52479.
A Conversation with The Conversation
The Conversation’s Queensland Editor, Liz Minchin, will speak to communications officers and researchers at UQ on Tuesday 2 August from 2pm–3pm in the AIBN seminar room. The session will cover:
- Why public and media engagement matters more than ever for leading research universities such as UQ
- Common mistakes people make when pitching to The Conversation
- Success stories involving UQ academics and others who have written for the outlet
- Practical tips for UQ communications staff to help more UQ researchers get involved with The Conversation.
Click here for further details.
Introducing the BEL Faculty Marketing Communications Team
We love coffee, Fridays and taking bribes in exchange for merchandise (M&Ms anyone?). We have a love-hate relationship with Excel and acronyms, and don’t like having our photo taken, but we’ve made an exception. Our only pain point is having to call the TC Beirne School of Law the TC Beirne School of Law.
The BEL M&C Team implements strategic initiatives to improve the student experience and external engagement and partnerships, and promotes the dedicated functions within the faculty (for the BEL Advancement, International, Student Employability, Research and Student Experience Academic Administration teams, as well as the Australian Institute of Business and Economics) and TC Beirne School of Law.
- On 31 May, BEL hosted a Domestic Violence Awareness Luncheon as part of DV Prevention Month, raising $22,590 for the RSPCA Pets in Crisis Program. The lunch focussed on the role of organisations and was filmed by the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services as part of the Not Now, Not Ever campaign.
- Five of BEL’s six websites have now been redeveloped on Drupal, with the TC Beirne School of Law site due to go live in July.
Projects in the works
- Forgan Smith Re-imagination Fundraising campaign initiatives and communications on the building work highlights. View the fly-through video.
- Surf Life Saving Qld Leadership Excellence Program is being hosted by BEL and is taking place from Friday 8–Sunday 10 July. Sixty of SLSQ’s up and coming leaders will stay at St Lucia and hear from the VC, notable alumni and academics.
Back row, from left to right: Liam McGuigan (Digital Content Producer), Danielle Koopman (Media and Communications Manager), Jessica Rice (Marketing and Digital Support Officer), Paula Brodhurst-Hill (Digital Marketing and Communications Officer)
Front row, from left to right: Melanie Bowles (Senior Manager, Strategic Marketing and Communications), Alysha Hilevuo (Content Writer and Coordinator), Amanda McHardy (Assistant Manager, Marketing and Communications), Kate Jones (Graphic and Multimedia Designer), Jarna King (Events Coordinator)
Events and Training
Representing UQ at Open Day, TSXPO and events 29 June, Room 202, Learning Innovation Building
New Staff Expo 12 July, UQ Centre
Working the Room by Networx 12 July, Networx Events
Video Production Workshop 15 July, Room 202A, Learning Innovation Building
Adobe Premiere Pro Basic Essentials Training Session 15 July, Room N201, Building 50 (use password uqadobe when registering)
Mental Health First Aid 26 July, International House, St Lucia
Seeking blogs from PhD students
We are looking for passionate PhD students to submit stories for UQ’s Small Change blog. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 336 51120 if you know of, or hear about fabulous inspiring PhD projects that would make for an interesting blog.
Contact magazine reader survey
OMC and UQ Advancement would like your help in promoting a reader survey for Contact magazine. The survey aims to understand the type of content readers prefer, and ways to improve the magazine, in order to continue to tell the stories that matter to alumni and enhance reader engagement.
For promotional copy, images or any other information, please contact Corporate Publications Manager Camille Layt on ext. 52479.
New Staff Appointments
Read details here
19 Simple email marketing tips to improve your email open and clickthrough rates Hubspot
18 of the best examples of mobile website design Hubspot
Why alumni-student mentoring is crucial for attracting and retaining more students Higher Education Marketing