GM/GMO Dealing classification

How do you know what 'Dealing' type your GM reseach falls under?

First take a look at the 'Exempt Dealings PPL, Containment of Exempt Dealings Procedure and Form PPL 2.40.03

If your dealing is not 'exempt' then it is most likely an NLRD, refer to Notifiable Low Risk Dealings (NLRD) Procedure and Form PPL 2.40.04. there are many categories of NLRDs, for your convenience we have some exemplars of NLRD proposals below.


Exemplars of NLRD and Potentially Hazardous/High Risk Biological proposals
NLRD Example 1  involving Lenti-viral vectors
NLRD Example 2  involving human cells and in-vivo (rodents)
NLRD Example 3  involving mammalian virus transfection inc in-vivo
NLRD Example 4  involving mamalian genes, transduced into cell lines
NLRD Example 5  involving infectious viruses and cell culture
NLRD Example 6  involving genes from bacterial pathogens
NLRD Example 7  involving plants (simple)
NLRD Example 8  involving plants (complex)
NLRD Example 9 involving plants
High Risk Biological 1 involving infectious / potentially infectious animals, tissues or fluids
High Risk Biological 2 unscreened specimens 

GMO Labelling

We currently have samples of freezer box labels and GMO dot labels that we are providing for trials, please contact if you would like a sample or the order details.

1. GMO Fridge Magnet Postcard size 14cmx10cm  (can be ordered online via Vista Print aprox $1 ea.)


2. freezer labels 6cmx3cm (we use 'Label Power' and they have stored the laser templates for furture use - stock number 70010637LABELS)

3. GMO Dot labels for microfuge tubes  (we use 'Label Power' and they have stored the laser templates for furture use - stock number 70010636LABELS)

 4. GMO self inking stamp (can be ordered online via Vista Print  approx $12 ea)

High RIsk Biologicals

 How to get Risk Groups and Pathogen Safety Data Sheets

If you are working with potentially infectious micro-organisms, you should keep a register of these micro-organisms, conduct risk assessments of your procedures involving these micro-organisms, and obtain Safety Data Sheets where available.

**Do you know the RISK GROUP of your micro-organism? AS2243.3 2010 Section 3 - Risk Group Tables lists most micro-organisms in Risk Groups 2 and above

SDSs are available for some micro-organisms:

Animal Diseases & Zoonoses:

Information can be found from the following sources:

The American Association of Zoo Veterinarians have a number of Fact Sheets for Zoonotic micro-organisms 

World Organisation for Animal Health Technical Disease Cards

The Centre for Food Security & Public Health also have Information sheets on animal diseases


General Laboratory (biosafety)

Requirements for entering certified (e.g. PC1/PC2) laboratories


Question: I just had a quick query about PPE in a PC1 Laboratory. What is the safety requirement with regards to enclosed footwear?
In my current lab, staff only wear appropriate footwear if they're going to work in the lab. If they're having a meeting, showing people around or briefly using equipment (e.g. checking supplies in a fridge), they feel they do not need to wear appropriate footwear. On these occasions I've seen staff in the lab with everything from thongs, to ballet flats, to sandals.
Answer: It is a common misconception that PC1 is basically anything goes, but this is not true.
AS2243.3 2010, stipulates in section 10.2.3 that ‘closed footwear shall be worn’ (regardless of PC status)
I would like to add, if there are chemicals in the lab that fall into one of the dangerous goods classes, then a risk assessment should be done to determine if the footwear needs to be impervious (e.g. esp if DG6 is used).


Question: Do people have to wear safety glasses in labs?
Answer: AS2243.3 2010 says “Protective eyewear shall be worn unless a documented risk assessment can justify a lesser requirement. The choice of equipment to protect the eyes and face from splashes and impacting objects is dependent on the activity performed”.
So if you have any sharps, infectious biologicals, risk group 2 micro-organisms, GM micro-organisms or chemicals, then you have hazards present in that lab that do require you to wear protective eyewear. Make sure you select one with adequate protection.


Question: Our offices are located at the end of a lab. Can we eat/drink in our offices? And can we take food/drink via the lab to our offices?
Answer: The new AS2243.3 do not allow office space within the boundary of a PC2 lab. But this unlikely to be retrospective.
You may ‘double-contain’ your food, and take it directly to your office. Water must be bottled, and covered and taken directly to the office.
  • Doors to offices must remain closed at ALL TIMES.
  • The air supply to the office is different to the lab,
  • DO NOT leave office doors open,
  • Do not transport uncovered cups or jugs through the lab!!!



  • Working in biology labs including PC2; OHS-Biosafety: - ONLINE MODULE via blackboard, use your UQ username and password and select OHS-BIOSAFETY

Note:- you will need your UQ kerberos (username) and password to sign into the online Biosafety Training. Paper copies 'off-line' are not available for this training.

If you are not sure of your UQ kerberos & password or to check yours go to the ITS page 'UQ Sign in'


FAQ: Can UQ Students access the online Biosafety Training Module via eLearning@UQ (i.e. Blackboard)?

Answer: Yes

FAQ: Can unpaid workers (e.g. visiting staff, affiliated researchers) access the online Biosafety Training Module via eLearning@UQ (i.e. Blackboard) without having a UQ Username to log-in?

Answer: No

Solution: Visiting Researchers, Associate Staff, and Organisations that are affiliated with UQ but have their own discrete ABN, are required to apply for access to UQ systems as either ‘Associate Staff’, ‘Visiting Staff’, ‘Business Affiliate’ or as a ‘Research Affiliate’ (whichever is applicable).

Please see ITS for more information

Please ensure you contact your local HR representative to aid you with this process.