Phil Long is Associate Director, Office of Educational Innovation & Technology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
His professional activities are numerous: New Media Consortium Board (2006-09), current chair of the NMC Board, NMC Project Horizon (2005 to present), 2006 Syllabus Conference Campus Host, 2006, the SAC Program Committee (2005-07, 06 Chair), Adobe Higher Education Advisory Board (2007), Steven’s Institute of Technology WebCampus board, past member of the US Army Distance Learning Subcommittee, MIT DSpace Policy Committee and many others. Dr. Long is also a Senior Associate with the TLT Group, a non-profit organisation dedicated to improve teaching and learning by making more appropriate and cost-effective use of information technology.
His expertise is in:
· Learning space design, physical and virtual
· Learning theory and behaviour
· Innovation and Technology Diffusion
· Social computing tools, and collaboration environments
· Evaluation of educational technology, statistical & qualitative research
His professional interests include:
· Architecture and design of learning environments to support active learning, laboratory design, computer-supported cooperative work
· Educause Learning Space Design Continuency Group
· Social networking and Web 2.0 tools, innovation diffusion, virtual worlds