Professional staff play a vital role in supporting teaching, research and engagement at The University of Queensland, a contribution that today was recognised through the prestigious Chancellor’s Awards.
UQ’s professional employees add value to everything from daily operational management of research facilities to finance, human resources and information technology services.
Melissa Glendenning, Operations Manager at Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation (QAAFI) received the Chancellor’s Award for Individual Excellence.
The UQ Protein Expression Facility Team from the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (AIBN) received the Chancellor’s Award for Team Excellence. On the team are Cindy Chang, Bradley Ryan, Christopher Munro and Emilyn Tan.
UQ Chancellor John Story and Vice-Chancellor Professor Peter Høj presented the awards, which acknowledge the exceptional work of professional staff.
Professor Høj said awardees were selected on three criteria: quality service, process improvement and innovation, as well as knowledge transfer and community connection. He said it was important for the whole UQ community to take pride in each individual’s success.
“All our people are focused on looking after our more than 45,000 students. Many are actively engaged in teaching and research, but it is also important to appreciate the work that happens behind the scenes,” said Professor Høj.
“Every day, our people go to great lengths to provide an exceptional service, product and opportunities. We encourage everyone to help make UQ greater and in return, we will help them achieve their goals,” he said.
The University also acknowledges the work of professional staff through the Miracle Worker Awards, for staff who are greatly appreciated by their colleagues for providing assistance, displaying a positive influence in their work environment, showing outstanding professionalism, and possessing great organisational skills.
Chancellor’s Award for Individual Excellence:
Ms Glendenning was the first Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation (QAAFI) employee and has been instrumental in setting up the institute from scratch. She has shown exceptional leadership, persistence and innovative thinking to develop and manage the operational aspects of the organisation through the start-up and growth period.
Chancellor’s Award for Team Excellence:
The UQ Protein Expression Facility Team from the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (AIBN)
The team has had a long-standing commitment and outstanding contributions to advance the University’s standing as a world-class higher education and research institution. This includes engaging internally and externally, implementing training programs for students, and hosting a national symposium.
Certificates of recognition were also presented at the ceremony to the following nominees:
Chancellor’s Award for Individual Excellence nominees:
• Gary Johnson, Faculty of Arts
• Mary Roset, School of Population Health
Chancellor’s Award for Team Excellence nominees:
• Finance and Human Resources Team at the Faculty of Arts - Debbie Browne, Simon Thomas, Ian McKeown, Dean Griffiths
• UQ Information Technology Services (ITS) – Jooil Lee, Alan Ewer, Alan Hockings, Lesley Smith, Matt Pawlowski, Terry Weatherhog, Andrew Hooley, Steve Moller, David Stockdale, Tim Cridland, Andrew King, Darren Reichel, Timothy O’Donohoe, Patrick Mole, Mark Conlon, Kevin Reilly, Bogdan Iamandei.
• Student and Academic Administration Team, Faculty of Arts – Shirley Moran, Nicole Jackson, Justin Nicholls, John Hughes, Leanne Smith.
• Student Centre: Denise Herzig, Tony Fu, Mark Mucek, Michelle Coorey, Sallyanne Graham, Sudha Murugesan, Malena McNamara, Fiona Hu, Jay Prentice, Peter Lowther, Linda Edwards, Sarah Spencer, Chris Vieira, Karen Blackburn, Sally Clarke, Melissa Cross, Nik Linnell.
• UQ ITS (Translational Research Institute (TRI)) – Jooil Lee, Alan Ewer, Felix Li, Andrew Hooley, Timothy O’Donohoe, Alan Wills, Scott Phillips, Sisir Roy, Bryan Robinson, Peter Ryan, Luke Angel, Hans Deucker, Luke Lickfold, Michael Livingstone, Rob Taylor, Tom Beigel, Mark Girling, Stephen Boyes, Philip Blyth, Carlos Bran, Brett Cheetham, Pascal Burger, David Francis, David Dawson, Susan Fixter, Terry Weatherhog, Minh Pham.
• UQ International: Tegan Radford Beer, Elspeth Muir, Adriana Velez.
Contact: Janelle Kirkland, UQ Communications, 07 3346 0561 or email@example.com