Registering for Use
YOU NEED TO SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION 2 WEEKS BEFORE TRAINING BEGINS - APPLICATIONS AFTER THIS DATE WILL BE SUBMITTED FOR THE NEXT SESSION.
To submit a registration form you click on the following link, client registration form - if you enter a preferrred login name and password prior to clicking on the registration button please ensure that you record it, however this is not essential to register - ensure that you select the "Registration" button which is at the lower right hand side of the login screen or visit CMM Administration, located in the ground level of the AIBN Building (Building 75).
It is required that the CMM be acknowledged in publications and presentations resulting from access to our instrumentation and expertise. Please use the following statement:-
"The authors acknowledge the facilities, and the scientific and technical assistance, of the Australian Microscopy & Microanalysis Research Facility at the Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis, The University of Queensland"
It is a requirement of CMM that all new clients have an interview to discuss project requirements and objectives to ensure that the best equipment/instrumentation is recommended for projects. Postgraduate students and their supervisors will need to attend this 'Assessment Interview'. Upon completion and receipt of a Client Registration form CMM will arrange an interview with the appropriate CMM Research staff.
Bring to the interview:
- Literature Review of published findings, methodologies in the area of work clients wish to undertake.
- Documented outline of the project's primary objectives
- Any work already performed or researched
- The University is committed to maximising opportunities for students with a disability, and has framed policies and procedures to support this commitment.
- Definition of "disability" - The University defines "disability" in accordance with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. It includes broad categories such as hearing impairment, vision impairment, learning disabilities, mobility disabilities, psychiatric disabilities and medical conditions. The disability can be temporary or permanent and can be of different severity levels.
Please advise at your interview if you have any special needs.
By enforcing these initial consultations Centre staff are better able to advise on the correct equipment to be used for each project, give realistic time frames and ensure the student realises what is achievable.
Before using the Centre, Clients need to have:
- Completed a UQ induction at his/her School/Centre/Unit
- Completed a 'CMM Registration’ form
- Students need a 'Letter of Authority' from his/her supervisors (optional)
- Risk assessment of the project and techniques
- OH&S Induction within the appropriate discipline
Using the Centre
CMM is a service facility where clients pay as they use the available equipment.
- CMM management will assess machine, training and upgrade suitability for clients.
- Visiting expert microscope users, may be assessed, and excluded from certain non-safety related training requirements, at the centre’s discretion.
- Training will not be commenced without prior payment, and extra training and upgrades may attract extra fees ($300.00 for additional instruments, and $150.00 for upgrades).
- Clients who use in excess of 100 hours per year may incur an additional fee of $1000 per annum.
- Memberships will only allow access to instrumentation on which the client has received training.
- Short term memberships will be considered under exceptional circumstances and must be discussed with the Director.
- A quotation from a senior staff member (eg. Professor John Drennan) is required for all consulting work undertaken by CMM Staff members.
- No joint or group memberships are available.
- University - This is limited to the University of Queensland Staff and Students. Honours Students (as from 1st June 2013) and Undergraduates may be charged. The charge will be at the discretion of the initial interviewer and relevant to the amount of work to be performed.
- Associate - This category is for persons who are not University of Queensland personnel but are from an associated university or government funded institution.
- External - This category is for persons from private industry or organisations carrying out work for private industry wishing to access CMM instrumentation.
Should you have any queries concerning which category you are please contact Kay Hodge on 3346 3944.
Fees and Charges - 2014
External + GST
12 month membership includes 1 training session and 1 upgrade if required. Further upgrades may incur additional costs
6 month membership includes 1 training session.
Light Microscopy & Neoscope (ONLY)
*All memberships will expire 31st December in any given year. Memberships taken out during the year will be charged at a pro rata cost of the above for the remaining months of the year.
Clients who use in excess of 100 hours per membership may incur an additional fee
A fee must be paid in order to gain membership. If you are an member of the University this can be done via an ISC - Request for Internal Services Quote form. This form MUST be completed and signed by a Financial Delegate. External members will be invoiced. Please note that fees need to be paid in full before the facilities can be used.