The research conducted by MarVERG has been favourably commented upon in both print and electronic media. Some examples are cited below.
- Sunday. Channel 7 Screened Sunday 7 June 2009 @ 6:30 pm.
- Totally Wild Channel 10 Screened Monday 29 Sept 2008 @ 4:00 pm.
- ‘Research into Wild Dugongs’ Thurs 22 May 2008
The UQ is working with Sea World to monitor the reproductive status of Wild Dugongs. Dr Janet Lanyon, leader of the UQ Dugong Research Team, says she is concerned that human activity may be affecting the health of the dugongs in urban Queensland
- Channel 7 - Brisbane, Prime Gold Coast, Bundaberg, Cairns, Mackay, Mt Isa, Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Townsville
- ABC - Brisbane
- Channel 31 - Brisbane
- Channel 9 - Brisbane, Gold Coast, WIN Bundaberg, WIN Cairns, WIN Mackay, WIN Rockhampton, WIN Sunshine Coast, WIN Toowoomba, WIN Townsville
- Channel 7 Sunrise - Brisbane, Prime Gold Coast, Bundaberg, Cairns, Mackay, Mt Isa, Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Townsville
- 3CR (Melbourne)
- Hot Tomato (Gold Coast)
- Channel 7 TV / radio
- Totally Wild Channel 10 Screened Tues 2 Oct 2007 @ 4:00 pm
- Creature Features ABC TV Screened Mon 16 July 2007 @ 4:25 pm
- Dugongs in Moreton Bay, The 7.30 Report, Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Screened 2 April 2007, Duration 6 mins . See transcript. See "Video Clips" below.
- The Dugong Trail, Episode 4 Reef Dreams. Iguana Films & ABC TV Productions. Screened July 2006, Duration 30 mins.
- Dugongs in Australia Amazing Animals, Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS), Screened 1 January 2006, Duration 15 mins.
- Marine Rescue, Episode 8 Aussie Animal Rescue 2. ABC TV Screened 2005, Duration 26 mins 30 secs.
Items/Interviews from national television
Channel 7 (National Australia)
Seven News at 4:30 - 15/05/2009 - 05:25 PM
Vision: Sea World; University of QLD
Channel 9 Gold Coast (Gold Coast North)
Gold Coast News - 15/05/2009 - 05:42 PM
Sea World has embarked on ground breaking research to test Moreton Bay's dugong population, researchers determined to gather information about the vulnerable species about which little is known.
Interviewees: Dr Janet Lanyon, University of Queensland; Trevor Long, Sea World; vox pops
Mentions: Western Plains Zoo
Channel 9 (Brisbane)
National Nine News - 15/05/2009 - 06:15 PM
Bruce Paige and Heather Foord
Producer Ms Margaret Tierney 02 9965 2170
Biologists from the University of Qld and Sea World are spending days on Moreton Bay researching dugong. The biologists have been surveying and mustering the herd, and hope to catch around 17 of them for medical check-ups.
Interviewees: Trevor Long, Sea World
ABC Gold & Tweed Coasts (Gold Coast)
Afternoons - 18/05/2009 - 03:16 PM
Interview with Trevor Long, Director of Marine Sciences, Sea World. Long talks about a joint project by marine biologists from University of Qld, Sea World, and Sydney Aquarium, to conduct new research into the dugong species. Long outlines the plans for the research, which he says is being conducted off Moreton Bay, and will look at the reproductive capabilities of wild dugongs. Long says the research will help create a better management system to conserve the species for the future.
Interviewees: Trevor Long, Director of Marine Sciences, Sea World
Coming up on TV…….
- Totally Wild Channel 10. To screen in early August 2009 Date to be announced.
- Catalyst ABC TV. To screen on Thursday 3 Sept 2009.
- View a video of the team tagging and sampling a dugong.
This video , "Reef Dreams" was produced by Iguana Films, and they have kindly made the segment available to the website for research and educational purposes only (not for commercial use or screening).
- View a video of ABC segment on Dugongs in Moreton Bay.
- View a video of Channel 10 "Totally Wild" segment on DNA sampling of Dugongs.
Please note: These video files have been compressed for download viewing, and should open automatically in Windows Media Player on a PC. It is best viewed at set (100%) resolution; viewing in larger or 'full screen' resolution will result in reduced qaulity of picture. To view on a Mac computer, a suitable viewing program should be installed; Windows Media Player for Mac may be downloaded from Microsoft.
And for the young at heart .... The Dugong
Newspapers and Magazines
- Dugong Dash, UQ News July, 2009
- Dugong Study, Illawarra Mercury, May 2009
- How do you do it, Dugong, Bendigo Advertiser, May 2009
- Diving into vital dugong research, Weekend Gold Coast Bulletin, May 2009
- Dugong research, SIB NEWS (School of Integrative Biology Newsletter) July 2008
- ‘Unravelling splendour of sex in the seagrass’ Fri 23 May 2008 Researchers from UQ and Sea World have joined forces to develop strategies to accurately assess the reproductive status of wild dugongs in Moreton Bay. Leader of the UQ dugong research team, Dr Janet Lanyon, comments.
- Courier Mail- Page 22
- Daily Advertiser, Wagga Wagga - Page 21
- Newcastle Herald - Page 24
- Townsville Bulletin - Page 14
- Western Advocate - Page 7
- National; ABC 612 Brisbane
- Australian Heritage, December 2007. Photo credits for the article "The Great Barrier Reef"
- UQ News, Issue 570, Dec 2007, p.27
- Gold Coast Mail 13 July 2007
- Hervey Bay Independent 13 July 2007
- Aussie Kids: Dugong story
- Dugong Story by journalist Denise Cullen, Australasian Scuba Diver Oct 2007 edition
- Holy Cow. Courier Mail "QWeekend" May 12-13, 2007
- Dugong research continues in Moreton Bay. True Grit March 2003
- Playing tag for dugong survival. UQ News No. 506 July 2001
- Dugong Research in Moreton Bay. True Grit Dec 1998
New Children's Book
- "The Dugongs", by Greg Pyers. To be released April 2008. Published by Echidna Books, Port Melbourne.
Congratulations to one of our regular dugong team member, Nick Holmes who won the recent Triple J’ Odyssey Competition. First prize for this national contest is a round-the word-trip to visit some of the world's natural wonders that are currently threatened by climate change: Mountain gorillas in UGANDA , endangered turtles in the CARIBBEAN, mangrove forests of INDIA, the Great Barrier Reef in AUSTRALIA, Valdivian rainforests in CHILE & ARGENTINA and the Chihuahua desert in MEXICO! During his travels, Nick will be visiting the Antillean manatees in Belize as a guest of researcher Dr Nicole Auil.
23 & 24 May 2008
The University of Qld and Sea World are conducting new research into dugong health and reproduction in Moreton Bay, and have taken the first ever blood and urine samples from the animals. Researchers say half of all dugong deaths re still unexplained.
- ABC 612 News - ABC Capricornia (Rockhampton), ABC Coast FM - Gold Coast (Gold Coast), ABC Coast FM - Sunshine Coast (Sunshine Coast), ABC Far North (Cairns), ABC North Queensland (Townsville), ABC North West Qld (Mt Isa), ABC Southern Queensland (Toowoomba), ABC Tropical North (Mackay), ABC Western Queensland (Longreach), ABC Wide Bay (Bundaberg), Radio National (Brisbane)
- 4KQ News
- Hot Tomato News
Research Maps Australian Dugong Family Tree, Radio Australia 20 Aug 2007