- Apply to UQ
- Before you apply
- Entry requirements for international students
- Undergraduate entry requirements for international students
- English language requirements
English language requirements
All international students must demonstrate that their current level of English language proficiency meets The University of Queensland's minimum entry requirements.
To meet the University’s English language proficiency requirements, international applicants must demonstrate one of the following:
- a score equivalent to four semesters of Sound Achievement in Queensland Studies in Authority English or interstate equivalent. Please refer to the English language proficiency – Queensland Year 12 equivalents table.
- at least 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in each sub-band of IELTS. Some programs have higher English proficiency requirements – please refer to the Courses and Programs website.
- for more detailed information on accepted tests and pathways to meet UQ's minimum English Language proficiency requirements, please see Table 1 under the "Procedures" tab of the UQ English Language Proficiency Admission and Concurrent Support policy.
Alternative evidence of English language
Where applicants cannot demonstrate their English Language Proficiency via sections 5.1 or 5.2 of the University's English Language Proficiency Admission Requirements for University Programs policy, they may still meet the University’s English Language minimum requirements if they can provide additional, relevant evidence that satisfies the University's Admissions Units that they are proficient in each of the English language skills.
Evidence which may be considered by the International Admissions Manager (for coursework applications) and the Admissions Manager of the Graduate School (for Research and Higher Degree applications) includes:
- successful completion of a Bachelor or Masters degree program, or evidence of at least two years full-time (or part-time equivalent) study, from an accredited university or institution which is recognised by The University of Queensland as one where:
- - English was the medium of instruction, and
- - English was the medium of assessment, and
- - the study has been undertaken during the five (5) years immediately prior to the commencement of study at the University; or
- substantial work in an English-speaking professional environment has been undertaken for a period of at least five (5) years immediately prior to the commencement of study at the University; or
- residence in Australia for a period of ten (10) years or more prior to the commencement of studies.
A list of other qualifications which satisfy the University’s minimum English language proficiency requirements is outlined in the University's policy, English Language Proficiency Admission Requirements for University Programs.
Please note that Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange students undertaking a stand-alone Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange program are only required to meet the overall score (eg 6.5 IELTS or 87 TOEFL or 64 PTE).
English language tests and examination results will only be considered if not more than two years have elapsed between the date of the test or final examinations and the date of commencement of study at The University of Queensland.
Applicants demonstrating their equivalent score of four semesters with a minimum grade of Sound Achievement in Queensland Authority English must attach certified copies of all academic transcripts and award certificates to the application.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test
Applicants demonstrating their English proficiency with an IELTS test score must attach a copy of the IELTS test result to the application. Information regarding the IELTS test may be obtained from:
- UQ's official Educational Representatives
- IDP Education Australia offices
- British Council
- Australian Diplomatic Missions
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The University of Queensland accepts TOEFL test scores as an english language proficiency requirement.
For both paper-based and internet-based TOEFL tests: applicants must provide UQ with a copy of an official TOEFL score report for verification purposes. If preferred, you can ask your Educational Testing Service to send the Official Score report directly to The University of Queensland, Institution Code - 0987.
Note, the University does not generally accept TOEFL results for quota-based programs and does not accept institutional TOEFL tests.
Further information on the TOEFL test may be obtained from the TOEFL website.
English language studies and IELTS at UQ
If you want to increase your English proficiency or do not meet the minimum English language requirements, the University's Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education (ICTE-UQ) can help you.
View English Pathways to UQ for more information.
Student visa requirements
Students who satisfy the University’s English language proficiency requirements may still need to meet additional student visa requirements for English proficiency, as required by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Equivalency scores for TOEFL, Pearson Test of English Academic (Pearson) and Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) from Cambridge ESOL (Cambridge) are available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.