What to bring
- Soap and towels, all other required toiletries
- The Australian sun is potent. Please bring a good supply of sun screen, a hat and sun-protective clothing.
- Closed shoes. The University of Queensland requires closed shoes to be worn at all times in all laboratories.
- Shoes for reef walking.
- Water bottle. It can be hot working on Heron so it's handy to have a drink bottle to carry with you.
- Some warm clothes. The weather on Heron can be variable, prepare for all eventualities.
- Rain coat
- Copies of permits, risk assessments and MSDS's (if applicable)
- Copies of all necessary paperwork
- HIRS kitchens are only stocked with basic equipment. Should you have special requirements you may need to bring if with you.
- Any special requirements such as prescription medication, contact lens supplies and personal toiletries
- Torch (flashlight). Lighting around the station is limited so you should always use a torch at night.
- Camera - for all those spectacular sunsets!
- All of you scientific requirements. Unless you have confirmed with HIRS Scientific Staff that the station can provide certain items, you need to ensure you bring everything else you may need. Keep in mind that getting extra items to the island can take time.
- Sense of humour. Heron Island is a remote location and things don't always go to plan. HIRS Staff will endeavour to make your stay go as smoothly as possible but sometimes things just happen!