Transport to HIRS is by catamaran or helicopter operated by Delaware North (Heron Island Resort). We strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance in case of adverse weather conditions or other delays.
The Heron Islander catamaran departs Gladstone Marina (Bryan Jordan Drive, Gladstone, Qld, 4680) daily at approximately 10:30am, arriving at Heron Island around 1:00pm. Clients need to be at the check-in desk at 10.00am, ready to hand over their luggage, receive further instructions from the catamaran staff and obtain the required boarding pass. Please be aware HIRS clients will board the boat last and are asked to sit downstairs. Shirts and shoes are required.
Transfers from the Gladstone airport to the marina are also offered through Delaware North. Please provide station staff with your flight arrival and departure information. Flight or catamaran delays may negatively impact your connections so we recommend you allow extra time and purchase travel insurance.
- Departure and therefore arrival times vary daily due to sea conditions and other factors so times are approximate.
- Luggage: capacity on the catamaran is limited and HIRS clients are limited to 2 bags of personal effects. Anything extra is classified as excess luggage and will be charged as follows (prices subject to change):
- Extra luggage and all equipment must be transferred to Heron Island by the barge service (see Food and Freight below).
HeliReef operates helicopter flights between Gladstone Airport and Heron Island. Helicopter transfers are subject to availability so please confirm availability on all services with the Delaware North reservations team to avoid disappointment.
- Check in for helicopter transfers at least 30 minutes prior to departure at the Australian Helicopters desk adjacent to Qantas at Gladstone Airport.
- Total baggage allowance is 15kg per person and additional luggage can be transferred on the launch.
- Contact Delaware North on +61 03 9429 3992.
Upon arrival at Heron Island, HIRS Staff will meet you at the jetty, show you to the station and provide an induction covering all the information necessary to ensure a productive and enjoyable visit.