I've finished my program requirements, when can I get my testamur (certificate)?
If you were doing an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program, your degree will be formally conferred upon you at the next appropriate graduation ceremony. Your testamur will be given to you during the ceremony. If you will not be in attendance, you will receive your testamur in the mail (further details below).
UQ graduation ceremonies are held during July and December each year. If you completed academic requirements for your program by finalised result date in Semester 1, you will be conferred in July; if you completed by finalised result date in Semester 2, you will be conferred in December. For Research Higher Degrees (MPhil or PhD), please see question below.
What if I sat a deferred or supplementary examination?
If you were awarded a deferred or supplementary examination and subsequently completed program requirements when this grade was finalised, you will be conferred in the next available graduation period. For example, if you were conditional to graduate at the end of Semester 1, 2014, but you applied for and sat a deferred exam, your graduation would be in December 2014. This is due to the deferred and supplementary exam period taking place during the graduation period at the end of each semester, thereby not allowing sufficient time for assessment to be marked and results finalised.
Can I get my testamur before the next ceremony?
Not if you were doing an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program. These degrees are conferred at graduation ceremonies. Until the degree is conferred upon you, you cannot be issued the testamur. You may, however, ask for written confirmation that you have completed the program requirements. Any Student Centre can provide you with a completion letter once you have met academic requirements—this letter will show that you have finished your program and indicate the date on which you will graduate.
What if I've just been awarded my Master of Philosophy or Doctor of Philosophy (MPhil or PhD)?
As program requirements may be met at any point in the academic calendar, these degrees are conferred differently to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs, you are eligible to receive your testamur after you receive confirmation from the Graduate School. Your testamur and transcript will be produced within approximately10 days of the conferral of your award, and then posted to the mailing address you have indicated on mySI-net.
When are Graduation Dates decided?
The dates of the graduation periods are usually set one year in advance, while the exact dates and times for each year's ceremonies are decided in approximately April/May. For more information about ceremony dates and times, please see
Ceremony dates and times.
Can I choose which date I graduate on?
Graduation ceremonies are determined by Faculty and School and you are not able to alter which ceremony you attend.
I’m doing a Dual degree. Which ceremony will I be allocated to?
In the first instance you will be allocated to one of the ceremonies associated with the faculty that administers the dual degree. (To check which faculty administers your dual degree, go to the Program tab in mySI-net.) Your allocated ceremony will also be confirmed in the email inviting you to attend your graduation. If you would prefer to attend a ceremony for the faculty which administers the other half of your dual degree, you can request this by contacting us. Provided there is capacity at the alternative ceremony, we will try to accommodate your request.
If I'm enrolled in a Graduate Diploma, can I graduate from the Graduate Certificate instead?
It is possible to be conferred in the lesser award in a postgraduate suite only where the program rules allow. Please note though that you will not automatically be graduated from the lesser award. You must request this via your Faculty or School. If you are considering doing this, you should discuss the potential implications with your School or Faculty early in the semester.
Will I be told if I'm going to graduate?
If you have kept your graduation semester up-to-date in
mySI-net, the University will contact you via email in either June or November (depending on whether you'll complete your program in first or second semester) to advise you of your graduation status.
Will I need to complete any forms?
If you are identified as a potential graduand you must complete a Conditional Graduation Application Form. Depending on your current enrolment status, you may be able to complete this form online via mySI-net. Alternatively, Graduations Section will email an online survey for you to complete and submit, indicating your intention to attend or re-present at a future ceremony (up to a maximum of two ceremonies following the ceremony period at which your award was recognised).
What will it cost?
There are no charges to graduate, but if you attend a graduation ceremony you must wear academic dress. A fee is payable for the hire of academic dress. For more information, visit the
Academic Dress page. If you do not attend a ceremony your testamur and transcript will be posted to you free-of-charge. Please be aware that you may not be permitted to graduate if you have outstanding fines.
What if I don't hear from Graduations?
If you have not heard from the University regarding your graduation by the end of June or the middle of November, and you expect to graduate, you should contact your faculty requesting they assess your eligibility to graduate.
Will receipt of my Conditional Graduation Application Form be acknowledged?
If you complete the Graduation Application form via mySI-net, you can view a copy of the information entered. These details will also be included in the email sent to you after results are released and your eligibility to graduate has been confirmed. If you think an error occurred while submitting your Graduation Application, please
contact us.
What if I'm going to do Honours next year?
If you are finishing a program this semester and plan to enroll in an honours program next semester, you will graduate from your pass degree (e.g., Bachelor of Science) at the end of the current semester and then graduate a second time when you have completed the requirements for the Honours degree (e.g. Bachelor of Science (Honours)). Please contact your faculty for further information if necessary. 
Will I have a specialisation printed on my testamur, academic transcript and AHEGS?
This depends on the rules for your particular program. Providing the program rules allow for a specialisation (often called a major or field of study), and you have completed the appropriate courses, the specialisation will be printed on your testamur, transcript and AHEGS. If you believe a secialisation is not correct, you must advise your Faculty at least 4 weeks before your graduation. 
If your program rules do not include provision for specialisations then they cannot be printed on your graduation documents.
Please note minors are not included on your testamur, but may in some instances be included on transcripts.
You can use the Programs & Courses website to check whether your program's rules include provision for specialisations.
What about my class of Honours?
Graduation checks are usually performed before final results are known, so your Conditional Graduation Application Form may not include a reference to Honours. Your eligibility for Honours will be checked after final results are available and displayed on mySI-net.
How will I know I have completed my program requirements and can graduate?
Between June and July (for Semester 1) and November and December (for Semester 2), your mySI-net record will display graduation options if you are eligible to graduate. When you have completed your program requirements and are eligible to graduate, you will be listed as ‘eligible’ or ‘final’.
I’m completing my concurrent diploma as well as my bachelor degree. Which ceremony will I attend? 
If you are completing a concurrent Diploma (Music Performance, Languages or Global Issues) you will attend the ceremony for the undergraduate degree you are graduating from.  At the ceremony you will receive a separate testamur for the Diploma.  You should wear the academic dress suitable for your highest degree (i.e. the bachelor gown, hood and trencher).  If you complete your Diploma after you have graduated from your bachelor degree, your graduation documents will be posted to you following the completion of the ceremonies nearest to the completion of your Diploma.
I already had a degree before completing this award—which award’s academic dress do I wear?
You should wear the academic dress suitable for the award you are receiving at the ceremony you attend. For example, if you were previously awarded a Bachelor degree and you will now receive a Masters, you should wear dress suitable for you Masters award.
What is the deadline to change my mailing address and /or my name before graduation?
The deadline to change your mailing address in mySI-net or apply for a name change (in relation to your graduation documents) is listed in the Graduations tab in mySI-net. Usually, the deadline falls one or two days after results are released for that semester, but you should check the exact date in mySI-net to make sure you have made your changes in time. Failure to make the changes prior to the due date will likely mean you will incur costs associated with replacing documents.
I'm attending my Graduation ceremony; what else do I need to do?
You must arrange
Academic Dress for your ceremony. Please do this as early as possible. Do not wait until your results become available before trying to arrange Academic Dress. You should also familiarise yourself with procedures you will need to follow on the day of your graduation.
I'm not attending my ceremony. What do I need to do?
You should still complete the Conditional Graduation Application Form even if you will not attend a ceremony. You will be graduated in absentia, and your graduation documents will be mailed to you after your ceremony. For this reason, it is important that you remember to update your mailing address in mySI-net by the address change deadline if you have changed address. 
Can I attend a later ceremony?
You may nominate to attend a later ceremony on the Conditional Graduation Application Form. If you do not attend your graduation ceremony the first time around, you are able to re-present during a later ceremony period, provided you do so within one year of your original graduation period. However, please note that you are only deferring your attendance at a ceremony and not your graduation itself. You will still be graduated in absentia at the original ceremony, and your graduation documents will be mailed to you shortly after. 
When will I receive my testamur (award certificate) and academic transcript?
If you attend, you will receive your graduation documents at your ceremony.  If you do not attend your ceremony they will be posted to the mailing address you have listed in mySI-net.
How many guest tickets can I order?
In most instances, graduands attending a ceremony are allocated 3-4 guest tickets - provided their graduation application form is completed prior to the deadline. However, where there are ceremonies with a particularly large graduating cohort, graduands may be allocated fewer guest tickets to comply with the venue’s capacity.   After results are finalised, Graduations staff (or contracted ticketing providers) will email you instructions for ordering your guest tickets online. In the event that additional ticket/s are available after the initial ticket release, Graduations staff will email graduands to advise that more tickets are available to order online. Graduands do not require a ticket for themselves.
For more information, please visit the Tickets page.
How much do the guest tickets cost?
All tickets are free-of-charge.
What if I have more guests than tickets?
On ceremony day, if there are spare seats after the ceremony has commenced, we may invite any additional guests without tickets in the foyer to take a seat in the hall. Please note that this may not be possible at ceremonies with a large number of graduating students.
At St Lucia ceremonies, additional guests are encouraged to view the ceremony from the lecture theatre adjacent to the Exhibition Hall, where the ceremony will be streamed live on a large screen. Guests who attend ceremonies in the lecture theatre are provided with an excellent view. Please also note that ceremonies held at the St Lucia campus will be streamed live on the internet: www.uq.edu.au/graduations/live-broadcast.
What kind of access is available for guests with a disability?
·         St Lucia
Guests and graduands with a disability can be set down directly outside the UQ Centre, as this entrance is accessible by wheelchair. Drivers accompanying a guest with a disability should approach the blockade at the base of Union Road and notify the guard that they require access. A map including accessible parking bays for people with disabilities can be found here: http://www.pf.uq.edu.au/accessmaps.html (See St Lucia Campus Access Site Map and St Lucia Campus Access Map Legend.) Please note, there is limited parking available for people with a disability underneath the UQ Centre, where mobility-impaired guests can take the elevator from the car park to the foyer on the ground floor.
Limited parking bays at Campbell Place, near the Great Court, will also be available for people with a disability. Although this area will be closed to most vehicles, people with a disability wishing to park closer to the post-ceremony celebrations are welcome to do so. Drivers should speak to the Traffic Officers stationed on Campbell Rd, who will allow access to mobility-impaired guests.
·         Gatton
Guests with a disability can be set down directly outside the Gymnasium entrance on Inner Ring Road. Drivers accompanying a guest with a disability will be permitted entry through the blockade on Galletly Road.
The Gymnasium entrance is accessible for guests with wheelchairs.
·         All campuses
Please note, ceremony hall doors are scheduled to open one hour before each ceremony. We advise guests requiring special assistance with seating inside the hall to arrive at least 30 minutes before doors open, so they may be assisted with seating before other guests enter. Please ask your guest to approach the Information Booth on arrival to request assistance.
Where can I collect my tickets?
Eligible graduands who have completed their eCGA and indicated they will attend ceremonies will receive a ticketing email. This email will include details of the procedures associated with ordering electronic tickets. Graduands will be able to generate and print guest tickets themselves from this date. Further details related to ticketing, including the timing of ticketing advice will be included in the email.


On this site