Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)
The APA scholarships are awarded competitively, based on merit, to students of exceptional research potential undertaking a research higher degree. These scholarships are funded by the Commonwealth Government to provide assistance for living costs.
Value: AUD$24,653 per annum (2013 rate). This rate is indexed annually.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a domestic student or an international student who holds an IPRS
- be nominated by the enrolling School/Institute.
- be assessed by the Graduate School to have met all conditions for admission to the RHD program.
- have an academic qualification equivalent to a Bachelor's degree with Honours Class I.
- not hold a qualification equivalent to or at a higher level than the research higher degree program you are undertaking.
- not previously have held a Commonwealth funded research higher degree scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship's payments commencement.
- not be receiving an equivalent award, scholarship (excluding IPRS) or salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the APA stipend rate to undertake the RHD program.
Students can only be nominated twice. The second nomination must be made within 12 months of the first nomination. The nomination must be before the student commences their program or in the first round immediately after they have commenced.
In instances where the candidate is awarded a scholarship after commencement, there will be no retrospective payments of this scholarship.
How to apply: Please indicate on the Application for Admission and Scholarships form if you wish to be considered for scholarships.
Further Information: DIISR website on the APA