War Memorial Swimming Pool
Funded by the College Welfare Fund, which was initiated by the staff in 1944, the hole for the pool was dug by students, staff and volunteers. Many stories have been told over the years of how digging the pool was used as a punishment for inappropriate behaviour. These are true, but in reality, it was more a team effort from all of the staff and students in the early 50s. The actual job of digging the pool was done by hands shovels, picks and tractor scoops and almost everybody on the campus helped out at some stage.
It is an Olympic size swimming pool, but it was only ever meant to be half size. Persistent rain in 1953 eroded the hole to twice the extent of the digging. It was completed in 1954, but the dressing sheds and grandstand weren't completed until 1959, bringing to an end a project that started thirteen years earlier. As the campus' memorial to World War II, the pool was the venue for the college ANZAC services until 1992.