This walkway is also known as the Avenue of Palms. Before 1969, it was possible to turn off the Warrego Highway and drive straight through the middle of the campus to the Lawes railway siding at Forest Hill.
The road that existed here before the walkway was topped with sandstone from the campus quarry. This quarry is still a landmark of the campus between the Inner and Outer Ring Roads, just west of Morrison Hall. In fact, all of the early roads built on this campus were topped with sandstone from this quarry. The use of coarse sandstone to top the roads was a great way to minimise erosion and keep the dust down.
The Canary Island Palms that line the walkway were planted in 1915. They framed the road perfectly when the Duke of Gloucester drove up between them to officially visit the campus in 1935 and are still a magnificent feature of the walkway.
In 1969, the campus underwent its most extensive restructure to date with the closure of the road and the development of the central campus precinct. The entire redevelopment took three years to complete.