Diversity Week Grant Guidelines
An amount of $5,000 for a number of small grants is available to assist individuals and organisational units within the University, participating in UQ Diversity Week 2007.
Applications are therefore called for UQ Diversity Week Grants, up to a maximum value of $1,000. Applications must be lodged by Monday, 2 April.
Diversity Week 2007 will be held from May 14–18. The theme of Diversity Week 2007, 'We All Count', is in recognition of the 40th anniversary of the May 1967 referendum. Accordingly, Diversity Week 2007 has a particular focus on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues and staff and students are encouraged to develop activities that reflect this theme.
Diversity Week 2007 aims to:
- celebrate the diversity of the University community while recognising our common humanity,
- raise awareness and increase understanding about issues such as cultural and linguistic diversity, religious diversity, gender identity, family and carer responsibilities, disability,
- debate and discuss the role of the University in contributing to social cohesion and community understanding of social issues, and in particular,
- develop greater understanding about Indigenous Australian history and contemporary culture, within the University and wider community.
Faculties, Schools, other organisational units, academic and general staff and students are encouraged to meaningfully and creatively engage with this significant event.
The UQ Diversity Week Grants are not intended to cover all costs associated with an activity or event but are intended to support initiatives and activities that highlight the University’s commitment to diversity and promote the principles of equity and diversity during this week, particularly those which respond to the theme of Diversity Week 07.
Examples of the type of activities that may attract a grant include:
- Assistance with hosting a guest lecturer
- Development of informative poster or bookmarks
- Assistance with mounting a display
- Prize for a student competition
- Support for a staff or student forum.
Click here for further information and ideas.
Diversity Week grant applications (download Word document) should be submitted to The Director, The Equity Office by close of business on Monday, 2 April 2007.
A selection panel will be convened and decisions made on the basis of consistency with the principles of Diversity Week and availability of funds. Preference will be given to those activities which have substance and that are likely to have longer term impact.
Recipients of a grant will be required to provide a brief report to The Equity Office on the activity and the utilisation of Grant monies by Friday 1 June 2007. Award monies are to be acquitted through the relevant organisational unit.