|1910 Members of first UQ Senate at Old Government House*|
Of the three dates related to the founding of the University, it is from 16 April 1910 that we derive the anniversary year in which the University’s birthday is celebrated.
On this day in 1910, the names of the members of the first Senate were published in the Queensland Government Gazette and the work of creating the University commenced. The membership list of the first members of Senate in 1910 was as follows:
His Excellency the Right Honourable Sir William MacGregor, GCMG, CB, MD, Aberd.
The Honourable Andrew Henry Barlow, MLC
Edward Gustavus Campbell Barton, Esquire, MIEE
Leslie Gordon Corrie, Esquire, FLS, FQIA
The Honourable David Hay Dalrymple, MLC
The Honourable Edwin Wesley Howard Fowles, MA Melb., LLB Melb.
David Hardie, Esquire, MD, Aberd.
John Brownlie Henderson, Esquire, FCS, FIC
Adolphus Marcus Hertzberg, Esquire
Eugen Hirschfeld, Esquire, MD, Stras.
Wilton Wood Russell Love, Esquire, MB ChM, Edin.
The Honourable Frank McDonnell, MLC
William Alexander Morrow, Esquire, MA Melb.,
George Washington Power, Esquire, MA Melb., LLM Melb.
George Anderson Richard, Esquire
Reginald Heber Roe, Esquire, MA Oxf.
John Killough Stewart, Esquire
John Douglas Story, Esquire
The Honourable Andrew Joseph Thynne, MLC
Justice John Laskey Woolcock, BA Syd.
On the occasion of the University’s 75th Anniversary, a celebration of the significant 16 April date was interwoven with the replication of a ceremony conducted at the inauguration on the 10 December 1909. On 16 April 1985, at Old Government House at the end of George Street, Brisbane, the University’s original “home”, the then Governor, Sir James Ramsay, launched the history of the University’s first 75 years, A Place of Light and Learning, by Professor Malcolm I. Thomis. Lady Ramsay then replanted the University Tree.
The original University Tree had been planted in front of Old Government House by Lady MacGregor at the conclusion of the Inauguration ceremony on 10 December 1909. It grew and flourished, but was cut down in 1966 to make way for later development on the site. A cutting from it had been propagated and had been planted at St Lucia in 1967, where it still grows. A cutting from this second generation tree was the one replanted at George Street by Lady Ramsay, within a short distance of the site of Lady MacGregor's tree. During the Centenary year it was established that this replanted tree had not survived at George Street, having had to be removed in 2005 or 2006.
* Photograph from UQ Archives collection