UQ Sunflower Competition
Registrations Open for the 2015 UQ Sunflower Competition.
The University of Queensland’s Sunflower Competition is designed to inspire current science students to become the next generation of plant and agricultural scientists and support teachers to deliver their science curriculum in a plant-based context.
The competition provides an interactive learning opportunity designed to actively contribute to the provision of a science-trained workforce that continues to position Australia at the forefront of agricultural production.
Teachers and students can participate in a number of ways and be eligible to win cash prizes - See competition rules. They include:
1. Grow sunflowers only at their school as part of their curriculum (for students unable to come to the weigh-in day)
2. Grow sunflowers at their school and enter the “Communicating Science” component of the competition (for students unable to come to the weigh-in day)
3. Grow sunflowers at their school and bring along to the Gatton Campus for the official weigh-in day.
– Registrations open: 21st November 2014
– Registrations close: 10th February 2015
– Planting date: 24th February 2015
– Final date for submission of “Communicating Science” entry: 15th May 2015
– Weigh-In Day: 19th May 2015
Overall ‘Heaviest’ Grand Champion
Mueller College - 4.455kg
Australian Sunflower Association ‘Heaviest’ Sunflower Category
1st – Mueller College - 4.455kg
2nd - Downlands College class 2 - 3.871kg
3rd - Downlands College class 1 - 3.690kg
Dow AgroSciences ‘Heaviest’ Sunflower Category
1st – Glasshouse Country Christian College group A - 2.928kg
2nd – Glasshouse Country Christian College group A - 2.676kg
3rd – Glasshouse Country Christian College group B - 2.595kg
Tallest Sunflower Prize
Downlands College - 2.65m
Most Ornamental Sunflower Prize
Toowoomba SHS Wilsonton Campus
Encouragement Award 1
Corinda State High School
Encouragement Award 2
Mt Maria College
UQ Sunflower Competition Team
T: 07 54601 279
The UQ Sunflower Competition, hosted by the School of Agriculture and Food Sciences, is proudly sponsored by Dow AgroSciences, The Australian Sunflower Association (ASA), Pacific Seeds, AgForce, AgriFood Skills Australia and is supported by the Queensland Agriculture Teachers' Association (QATA).
|UQ Sunflower Competition section|