- School, Centre and Institute Reviews
School, Centre and Institute Reviews
A key role of the Academic Boad is to oversee the University's review process for Institutes, Centres and Schools.
Institutes, University Centres and Schools undergo comprehensive external review on a septennial basis. The Academic Board Standing Committee oversees the review process on behalf of the Academic Board. The Standing Committee establishes the schedule of reviews in consultation with the Executive Deans or the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), as appropriate.
- aims to achieve improvement in academic performance through a process of self-assessment, benchmarking, critical reflection, forward planning and peer review; and
- provides the catalyst for a continuing cycle of development and improvement with a view to adopting good practice by international standards.
The review process involves a five-to-seven member panel:
- in the review of a comprehensive submission and of community submissions; and
- in interviews with staff, professional representatives, students and employer groups and national and international benchmarking.
The School submission is developed in accordance with guidelines developed by the Academic Board Standing Committee.
The review considers the most appropriate utilisation of the unit's resources to enhance its performance and to fulfil its goals and objectives, and in doing so, assesses performance and planning in relation to:
- teaching and learning;
- curriculum development;
- research and research training;
- community service and external relations;
- equity issues; and
The review committee reports to the President of the Academic Board, and through the Board, to Senate.
Outcomes and follow-up:
A 12-month implementation report is required to be submitted to the Academic Board Standing Committee 12 months after Senate's approval of the review report. The implementation report addresses every recommendation of the review report and details progress made on the recommendations.
For further information contact:
The School Review Officer
Academic Policy and Programs
Academic Services Division
Phone (07) 3365 1321
|School, Centre and Institute Reviews section|